Soul Communion

Yao Jiaping hadn't been skinned yet. Yin Hanjiang had asked for an intact skin, but Yao Jiaping's throat had been pierced by him. In order to accomplish the task the new Sect Leader had assigned him, Shi Congxin first carefully treated Yao Jiaping's injury with elixirs, then soaked him in medicinal water. Only after he soaked for forty-eight hours could the procedure to steal his skin be used, otherwise it might tear.

Shi Congxin had always been a follower in Xuanyuan Sect and never been entrusted with something this important. Today, Protector Shu and Altar Master Zhongli had been reprimanded by Sect Leader Yin while he had been given a task, so he actually felt rather cheerful.

Ever since he succeeded Qiu Congxue and took over the Hellfire Pavilion, Shi Congxin had been panicking. Altar Master Yuan, who had recommended him, had been killed by Sect Leader Yin for colluding with the righteous sects, and Protector Qiu had brought back a ghost cultivator with a flesh body named Su Huai, saying that when Su Huai's cultivation improved, she'd help him remove Shi Congxin and take over the Hellfire Pavilion.

Plus, the new Altar Master Sect Leader Yin appointed, Zhongli Qian, saw Su Huai as his disciple. Shi Congxin had been shedding tears in his heart, afraid he'd be replaced any day. There was nothing good about being in a high position.

The tables seemed to be turning, though. Sect Leader Yin was starting to value him after taking over the sect. He was determined to impress Sect Leader Yin with his capabilities, cough cough!

Yet it hadn't been six hours, and he'd just gotten Yao Jiaping soaked properly, when he received a message from Sect Master Wenren.

The Sect Master was back? Then who was he supposed to listen to now?

Shi Congxin was too scared to offend either of them. He had no choice but to pick up the half-dead Yao Jiaping and bring him to Wenren È.

For some reason, immediately after his return, Wenren È was in Altar Master Zhongli's room. Were the two plotting together in order to take back the sect from Sect Leader Yin? It was time for him to make his stand, Shi Congxin decided. He had to convey this information to Sect Leader Yin, so he would be prepared. Then, when the time came, Qiu Congxue, Shu Yanyan, Zhongli Qian, and Su Huai would all... cough, cough!

While fantasizing, Shi Congxin walked into the room and saw Sect Leader Yin was heavily injured, lying in Wenren È's lap. He started coughing harder.

"Shut up." The Lord of Demons wore a blue robe, his imposing presence stronger than ever. He didn't even glance at Shi Congxin, his eyes locked on Yin Hanjiang's face, brushing his fingertips over the corner of Yin Hanjiang's mouth.

The ever-vigilant Zhongli Qian pulled Shi Congxin aside and transmitted to him, "Don't disturb the Sect Master right now. Yao Jiaping is still alive, right?"

He doesn't want me to receive favor from the lord! Shi Congxin thought. But he still acted fearful as he transmitted back, "Thank you for your advice. He hasn't died, cough cough."

Zhongli Qian turned toward Shi Congxin. His eyes were blindfolded, yet Shi Congxin had a feeling like all his thoughts were exposed in front of him. It must be his imagination—it was just the moonlight shining through a window and illuminating Zhongli Qian's face, that was giving him such a strange feeling.

Shi Congxin transmitted, "Why is Altar Master Zhongli looking at me like that? Is something wrong? Cough cough."

"Nothing, I just didn't expect your mental transmissions would also have coughing," Zhongli Qian said.

Shi Congxin: ...

I—it was just a habit! Since he cultivated the seven human sufferings, he naturally had to experience suffering at every moment. Even if his sickness qi had been sucked away by Baili Qingmiao, he at least had to act sick! Cough cough cough!