Preparations Completed

Via the spirit vow, Yin Hanjiang ordered Liu Xinye to see him at midnight, without being discovered by anyone. If she didn't obey, he would snap the jade talisman the vow was recorded on and damage her soul.

Helpless, Liu Xinye could only sneak out while Hè Wenzhao was drinking to drown his troubles. She entered the elixir-making chamber and stared at Yao Jiaping in shock. "H—how do you have my spirit vow?"

"When I went to Xuanyuan Sect, it was obviously to treat people. Since the Left Protector Qiu Congxue was injured, I treated her and she handed this over as payment," Yin Hanjiang said carelessly, tossing the jade in his hands. "I typically give two prices for my treatment. First, something important to the patient, and second... well, you've probably heard."

Tearfully, Liu Xinye made to take off her clothes. "Once should be enough, right?"

Yin Hanjiang: ???

Frantically, he lifted a finger and used spiritual energy to stop Liu Xinye's movements, so she couldn't keep undressing.

Fortunately, Yao Jiaping's skin was reliable and didn't flush or show panic. It felt as if he was wearing a mask, giving Yin Hanjiang a feeling of reassurance. He said steadily, "You think too highly of yourself. I have no interest in you. What I want is the thing most important to you."

"I won't let you take my Nascent Soul, soul, or bonded weapon!" Liu Xinye cried.

" ...I'm not interested in those either," Yin Hanjiang said. "I just need you to complete a task."

As he spoke, Baili Qingmiao wordlessly walked up, holding a transparent talisman in one hand. Wenren È had crafted it using chaos energy. He burned it and dropped the ashes into a cup of water, which he then poured into a jade vase and handed to Liu Xinye.

"Find some way to make Hè Wenzhao drink it," said Yin Hanjiang.

Liu Xinye was afraid to take it. "W—what are you going to do to Wenzhao?"

"At worse, make him fall back to Foundation Establishment. It's not like I'm going to kill him. After all, he's my good 'brother'." "Yao Jiaping" said, smiling. "If you don't agree, I could make you fall to Foundation Establishment instead."

"I'll do it!" Liu Xinye grabbed the vase.

"Liu-shijie, weren't you willing to give up everything for shixiong? You were once willing to destroy your foundation for him, so why are you choosing this now?" It was Baili Qingmiao herself speaking. She had already entered the Path of Indifference and when she saw Hè Wenzhao, her heart was unmoved. She had no objection to Yin Hanjiang's plot to make Hè Wenzhao take the Sect Master's place, either. After all, Elder Qingyue had given his life to save Hè Wenzhao and the Sect Master, and Hè Wenzhao owed the Sect Master a debt for raising and teaching him. As long as Hè Wenzhao was at the right level, then by all reasoning, he ought to be the one to save Qingyue. If Baili Qingmiao was in his place, she would've offered too.

She just didn't understand why Liu-shijie was making the complete opposite of the choice she had once made.

"Heheh, ahahahahaha!" Liu Xinye burst into laughter. Tears flowing from her eyes, she said, "Yes, I love him, I've loved him since I was young. I worked hard cultivating to be with him. I wished so much to marry him!"

Wrapping her hands around the jade vase, her expression slowly became vicious and her voice harsh. "But him? The night after we married, as he embraced me, do you know whose name he shouted? It was yours, Baili Qingmiao!

"He thinks I'm unaware of what he did with Gongxi Jin while he was traveling. He thinks I didn't hear how he said to other people that he liked Gongxi Jin's eyes, because her eyes are a lot like yours.