Rod of Heartbreak

Wenren È couldn't leave Xuanyuan Sect without a word to anyone. Appropriately speaking, if the Sect Master wasn't around, the new Deputy Sect Leader, Yin Hanjiang, who had been in his position for just thirty years, should handle his duties in his place.

Wenren È was planning to leave Yin Hanjiang at Xuanyuan Sect and set off for the Violet Spirit Pavilion alone. Xuanyuan Sect didn't have any important affairs he needed to manage, and it hardly mattered if his subordinates rebelled after he left, since they'd surrender when he returned anyway. Yin Hanjiang was always too close to Wenren È, and his power was at the peak of Void Boundary. He never showed any wariness toward Wenren È. If Wenren È were to say to him, "This Venerable needs to consume souls", he was afraid Yin Hanjiang might offer his own up in a heartbeat.

It was too dangerous to travel together with him. He would have more ease in restraining himself if he was alone.

Thus, before departing, Wenren È called over Yin Hanjiang and told him he was heading to True Yin Mountain.

Yin Hanjiang completely failed to clue in onto the fact that Wenren È was trying to ditch him. He quietly followed behind, ready to leave with him.

Seeing his behavior, Wenren È stopped walking, carefully considering what he was about to say. He slowly opened his mouth. "Sect Leader Yin, about the sect leadership while this Venerable is gone, and the search for the traitor..."

Yin Hanjiang's expression turned blank. He stared silently at Wenren È, seeming to think nothing of his own, simply awaiting his Venerable's next order.

If Wenren È commanded it, Yin Hanjiang would carry it out to perfection, even if he was unwilling.

Wenren È couldn't continue. Yin Hanjiang maintained his attentive posture, waiting for his Venerable to finish his command.

"...it can be left to Protector Shu. She's gotten a lot of practice, anyway. Since the other Altar Masters were overcome by her before, they'll be more wary and less willing to disturb the peace. The matter of the traitor isn't urgent. We don't even have any clues now, but it's possible that if we both leave, Cen Zhengqi will let something slip." Looking at Yin Hanjiang's expression, Wenren È finally completed his sentence this way.

Yin Hanjiang's face finally gained some life. He dipped his head low and said, "Your subordinate understands."

Wenren È furrowed his brows. It wasn't like he and Yin Hanjiang had never left each other's sides before. The Lord of Demons came and went when he pleased, and he hardly needed to report it all to Yin Hanjiang. Yin Hanjiang had never asked, either. It was just that after reading Abusive Romance, Wenren È was worried about Yin Hanjiang's psyche and tried to avoid leaving him alone. Now he wanted to leave him, but felt misgivings.

This wasn't right.

He had originally hoped to settle Yin Hanjiang down and avoid him taking some actions that would displease him if he died, so he paid more attention to him. But now he felt less comfortable about leaving Yin Hanjiang alone.

When Wenren È wanted to go somewhere, since when had he paid attention to how dejected Yin Hanjiang looked? And since when had it softened his heart?

"Yin Hanjiang," Wenren È said, switching to using his name. "This Venerable is not a god. He is the same as you, just another cultivator journeying on the path to divinity."

"This subordinate understands," Yin Hanjiang said, still bowing his head.

"Admiration is all well and good, but you need to walk your own path. Do you understand this?" Wenren È took a step closer. He put a hand on the back of Yin Hanjiang's neck, his thumb by his ear, applying pressure and forcing him to raise his head.