Unstable Mind

After reading the book, Yin Hanjiang had been in a daze for a long time. He didn't remember what he was thinking back then.

He suddenly remembered his Venerable had once said he had a debt toward Baili Qingmiao, which he could only repay by helping her attain godhood. He also remembered how Zhongli Qian had told him that Wenren È had faced danger to save Baili Qingmiao, not because he didn't care about his own life, but because he had a plan.

Sitting at the desk, he cocked his head slightly, not quite certain whether these memories were real or his own imagination.

He turned toward the Wenren È sitting at his left side and said, "Does the Venerable like Baili Qingmiao?"

"Don't you remember what this Venerable has told you?" said that Wenren È.

Yin Hanjiang turned his head to the Wenren È sitting on his right. "What do you think, Venerable?"

"This Venerable has told you that these books record fate, and fate is difficult to change," said that Wenren È.

With both Wenren È's repeating his Venerable's words by his ears, Yin Hanjiang's thoughts felt disordered. He didn't know whose words were correct, and didn't even know if the two people next to him really existed.

He lifted his hands, wanting to cover his ears, but now that he was able to listen to his Venerable's voice, he was loath to seal his hearing.

Yin Hanjiang shook his head a few times, feeling that something was wrong with him.

He put away the book and sat cross-legged on the bed, reciting the Clear Mind Spell, trying to calm his heart and quiet his unruly thoughts.

But the two Wenren È's sat next to Yin Hanjiang, pressed against his sides. "Is Sect Leader Yin reciting the Clear Mind Spell because he no longer wants to see this Venerable?"

Yin Hanjiang felt his meridians were clogged and he couldn't even circulate his spiritual essence though his body. He forcibly tried to open his meridians, but spat up a mouthful of blood. There was a piercing pain in his dantian, and he was unable to circulate any spiritual essence.

"False, all false." Yin Hanjiang brought out Wenren È's robe. Holding it to his chest, he felt much better.

Clutching it tight, he closed his eyes. He was uncertain if he fell asleep or lost consciousness.

Vaguely, he seemed to have a dream, though it also seemed to not be a dream, and instead something that really happened. He dreamed that, after the Great Sect War, his Venerable had been saved by a woman of the righteous sects. His Venerable favored that woman very much, and at last, died saving her at the Blood Hell.

At the moment before he fell into the Blood Hell, his Venerable had thrown that woman, wrapped in his own robe, at Yin Hanjiang, along with a blood-red stone. His last words were, "Protect her for this Venerable."

The pain that seemed to split his heart woke Yin Hanjiang. He looked at his arms and saw only a robe, but no woman.

Hm? Odd, how did his Venerable die?

Yin Hanjiang shook his head. He seemed to have trouble remembering.

There were two series of events in his memories. In one, his Venerable was good to him and treated him warmly. He retrieved the Snow Flame for him, forged a bonded weapon for him, and gave him his robe. In the other... in the other, he quietly looked on as his Venerable treated a woman kindly, kindly enough to make his heart ache, kindly enough that time after time, he put on the ghost mask in the dead of night, carving that woman's figure out of wood with his sword, after which he would gouge her face out with his fingernails, bit by bit, and slowly reduce the figurine to wood chips.