Violet Spirit Pavilion Master

Wenren È watched the roiling magma beneath his feet. The Seven Killing Halberd in his hand swung lightly to point to the blue-robed woman, making it clear he had no intention of letting her off easily.

"Wait a minute!" the woman said. "We have no grudge with each other and you've obtained the Snow Flame, so why don't you let it go now?"

Seeing she couldn't win, she was trying to escape.

"I can let you off," Wenren È said. "Protector Yin, you've followed me for many years. Under what circumstances will I let my opponents go?"

Yin Hanjiang appeared behind Wenren È, clutching his missing hand. "The Venerable is magnanimous, and rarely insists on killing opponents he sees potential in."

Though he practiced the Path of Slaughter, Wenren È very rarely killed people himself. Back when he attacked Xuanyuan Sect, most of the killings were done by Yin Hanjiang, and Wenren È only killed the old Sect Master. As for the remaining high-ranking people like Shu Yanyan, Wenren È left them completely untouched.

Yin Hanjiang explained to the blue-robed woman, "The Venerable will very rarely take action against those weaker than him. They are not worth his attention. As for those with potential, the Venerable will give them a way out, and wait to battle them again after they've raised their strength."

The Path of Slaughter consisted of struggling for survival against impossible odds. Without an opponent who could push oneself to one's limits, without an even match, without winning from a disadvantage, there was no way to advance. After Wenren È had first stepped onto this one-way road with no going back, every step was taken on thin ice, yet he had quite enjoyed the journey.

"Can you increase your strength? Do you have any worth for this Venerable to spare you?" Wenren È asked.

The blue-robed woman gritted her teeth. She pointed a finger at Baili Qingmiao. "My reason was her."

Wenren È raised an eyebrow. "Hm?"

Baili Qingmiao sat in the midst of striking lightning, which filled the air around her for hundreds of meters with silver flashes. It looked impressive, but to these three people, a mere lightning tribulation at the Core Formation stage was nothing.

"Speaking of, why did you give her the Snow Flame?" Wenren È asked.

In the original plot, Baili Qingmiao spent five days treating Hè Wenzhao after obtaining the Snow Flame, but hadn't encountered any wandering immortal.

"I didn't give her the Snow Flame. It was drawn to her." The blue-robed woman knew it was meaningless to lie to Wenren È. "I've been cultivating underneath these Ice Plains for eight hundred years, in order to obtain the flames of true yang underneath the ice. But after all these years, I've not obtained a single wisp of yang energy, while she found it after just arriving. Naturally, I wanted to see just what was with this little girl."

Yin Hanjiang thought about what Wenren È had said, that the Snow Flame was Baili Qingmiao's destiny and could not be obtained by anyone else. Indeed the Venerable had spoken a truth of heaven. All the time this wandering immortal had waited couldn't match up to five months for Baili Qingmiao.

"I have the essence of an immortal, so I can see things that ordinary cultivators cannot. As she was on the brink of death, between her brows, there was a ray of divine light protecting her, which attracted the Snow Flame to her. I think she may have a connection to the remnants of some old divinity, so I placed a mark on her in order to keep an eye on her in the future."

"That's all?" Wenren È looked the woman over. "The mark of a wandering immortal shouldn't require you to show up."

"Isn't that because I discovered your presence?" said the blue-robed woman. "I was worried you'd also figured out there was something special in that little girl and were after that trace of divinity. I didn't want to hand it over to you, so I was planning on unmasking your identities as demonic cultivators in front of Baili Qingmiao and then doing away with you to gain her trust. Then in the future I could find a way to follow her, awaiting an opportunity to steal her destiny."