Deep in its Clutches

After Zhongli Qian watched Zhongli Kuang's soul and puppeted body depart, his tense expression relaxed slightly.

The fact that he didn't like his younger brother had nothing to do with his parentage, but was purely because of his behavior. Now that he was returned, whether the Zhongli clan wanted to save him or send him on to his next life was no longer Zhongli Qian's business.

"Seeing as you're a magnanimous person, this Venerable won't try to deceive you," said Wenren È. "This Venerable is Wenren È of Xuanyuan Sect."

"So it is Sir Wenren," Zhongli Qian said in shock, and quickly cupped his hands in greeting. "After Sir Wenren's battle with twenty-one experts of the righteous sects twelve years ago, you can be considered the strongest in the cultivation world. Though we walk different paths, I have deep admiration for you, and wish to offer thanks on the behalf of all mortal lives."

The Zhongli clan wasn't sided with the righteous or demonic sects and was considered a neutral party. A major event like the Great Sect War had of course been much talked about among the four great cultivation clans. Those who understood the ways of heaven naturally realized that both the righteous and demonic side's goal was to avoid a ten-thousand-year great calamity. And the ease with which the demonic cultivators had broken the Spirit Severing Array two years ago allowed many to guess Wenren È's true intentions.

The rise of the cultivation clans was related to Wenren È's actions, and since they weren't affiliated with the righteous sects, they were grateful to him.

Zhongli Qian spoke with sincerity, not a hint of pretense in his words, and Shu Yanyan couldn't help but glance at Wenren È. She couldn't understand why he was interested in Zhongli Qian. Xuanyuan Sect had no connections to the cultivation clans, nor any grudge, and Wenren È wasn't someone who would mistreat innocents. He may not be intending to kill Zhongli Qian, but holding some deeper intentions.

"You have a good character, and this Venerable doesn't intend to harm you," Wenren È said. "This Venerable just wants to keep you as a guest at Xuanyuan Sect for a few days. I am a reasonable man, who does not wish to pressure others. You can choose to be our guest standing up, or lying down."

Zhongli Qian stared for a moment. Knowing that the three before him were demonic cultivators, and seeing how mercilessly they had treated Zhongli Kuang, he had never expected he would be allowed to live. If there was even a single ray of hope, Zhongli Qian would fight with all his strength, but facing Wenren È, the combined strength of the Zhongli clan might not be enough, let alone Zhongli Qian himself.

"This one of course hopes to be Xuanyuan Sect's guest in good health," Zhongli Qian answered.

"Mm, well spoken." Wenren È nodded, satisfied. "Come then. Right Protector, watch over Young Master Zhongli along the way. If he isn't the one who arrives to Xuanyuan Sect, this Venerable will feed your Nascent Soul to the beasts living on the mountain."

He spoke without a hint of jest, then left with Yin Hanjiang to Xuanyuan Sect, not concerned at all about Zhongli Qian escaping.

Tears flowed down Shu Yanyan's face as she spoke to Zhongli Qian. "Young Master Zhongli, you don't need to worry. I'm still the Xuanyuan Sect's Right Protector. Even if there are mountains of people who can replace me, the Venerable... he might not necessarily turn me into dog food."

She cried like a rain-drenched flower, as she continued, "I'm also reluctant to bring an upstanding young man like you to Xuanyuan Sect to be tormented by that devil. If you were to escape along the way, I'll make sure to turn a blind eye. Even if he feeds me to dogs later, you mustn't blame yourself."

Zhongli Qian: ...

He was a gentleman, not a stupid man. Wenren È had spoken to Shu Yanyan for his benefit, to prevent him from escaping. He also understood that Wenren È wouldn't speak empty words. The Lord of Demons held no mercy in his eyes, and though he looked upon his Left Protector Yin Hanjiang with endless lenience, he really would feed Shu Yanyan to beasts.