Severing Blood and Engraving Soul

After regaining awareness with the help of the Burning Sky Drum, Wenren È engaged twenty-one experts in a desperate battle to the death. He didn't know how many of them he had managed to kill, and how many had survived.

Wenren È had originally planned to unleash all of his power and fight to his limits, to learn just what he was capable of. He had wanted to disregard everything else, but the drumbeats brought him back to his senses at the last moment.

Yin Hanjiang had not risked his life using Void Boundary power to activate the Burning Sky Drum in order to see Wenren È die in battle.

He had promised Yin Hanjiang before the battle that he would survive. Wenren È would never go back on his word. At the very end, he held back a part of his power in order to defend himself, and so managed to preserve his life to be saved by Yin Hanjiang.

With his last breath, he let Yin Hanjiang know that he was still alive, before losing consciousness.

His injuries were too severe, and while drifting in and out of consciousness, he could hear Yin Hanjiang calling him, but his eyelids felt heavy and he couldn't open them.

In the original plot, Wenren È had lain unconscious for some time, and upon waking, saw Baili Qingmiao busy working before him. He saw a single ray of the rising sun land on Baili Qingmiao's body. Her expression was warm but resolute, with a beautiful and pure wish to save others. Seeing her bathed in that ray of sun, or perhaps divine light, the heart of the demonic sect leader was moved.

At the time, Wenren È was not yet aware that his love tribulation had arrived, and only coldly told this righteous junior disciple that he could grant her one favor. Baili Qingmiao stared blankly for a moment, then shook her head and said, "I just need you to live."

Wenren È had sustained heavy internal injuries, and also wasn't willing to return to Shangqing Sect with Baili Qingmiao for treatment. Baili Qingmiao could only use the communication talisman Master Qingrong gave her to report back that she would be gone for a while.

Before the war, Shangqing Sect had given each of the support disciples a jade slip and rushed them through some medicinal knowledge and the locations of some magic herbs. During the three months Yin Hanjiang had been cultivating, Baili Qingmiao and her fellow disciples were busy memorizing the jade slips and practicing medicinal spells.

She realized Wenren È's injuries were too severe; the Violet Palace of his dantian was a mess and his spiritual essence was almost completely drained. In order to save his life, Baili Qingmiao decided to take him to the Nine Cauldron Mountains, the location of the Nine Yang Soul-Reviving Flesh Mushroom which could bring back the dead and regrow flesh from bones, as recorded in her jade slip. Wenren È watched her coldly for the entire journey as she climbed the mountain carrying him and did battle with the beasts guarding the mushroom. After she obtained the mushroom, she boiled it into broth and didn't take a spoonful for herself, feeding it all to Wenren È.

In the book, after Wenren È was healed, he saw Baili Qingmiao's overjoyed expression and his heart finally fell for her. He didn't reveal his identity, just left a token and told her she could use it to call him if she met with trouble. No matter what it was, Wenren È would go through hell and high water to help her.

Baili Qingmiao had never thought of receiving something in return from Wenren È, and was only happy she was able to save one more life. After bidding Wenren È farewell, Baili Qingmiao returned to her sect and, when she saw Hè Wenzhao had lost his Nascent Soul, her heart froze in an instant.

The gravely injured and despondent Hè Wenzhao said to Baili Qingmiao, "Shimei, when I was injured, all I wanted to do was see you one last time, but where were you then?"