Baiting the Serpent

After his clan had been wiped out, Wenren È had picked up the habit of always preparing for the worst-case scenario, never hoping for a fluke.

He didn't think, "Maybe it isn't Cen Zhengqi, or even if it is him, maybe he doesn't know the plot has changed." He only cared about the worst possible outcome.

He knew that the Violet Spirit Master hadn't known who obtained the first and second volumes. Similarly, the holder of the second volume wouldn't know about Baili Qingmiao's connection with the divine nature. With the two volumes he had, he could assume the second volume told of the events after Hè Wenzhao and Baili Qingmiao ascended to the immortal realm. In the first volume, Hè Wenzhao's friends also ascended one after another. The most likely pieces of information for the second volume's possessor to know were Wenren È's death, from the summary of the previous volume, and the fact that the second volume's main villain was the Burning Sky Immortal.

After obtaining the book, Cen Zhengqi had two choices. One was to accept Hè Wenzhao as the protagonist and follow him faithfully to ride his coattails. The second was to reject him and wait for a good time to steal his opportunities and become the strongest.

Judging from when the first and third volumes had shown up, the second volume would've also appeared thirty years ago. In these thirty years, Cen Zhengqi's name hadn't shown up once in the revised first volume. If a person decided to curry favor with someone, they would've appeared much earlier, doing everything they could to help that person. Wenren È, even though he didn't want to win over Baili Qingmiao, had shown up several decades in advance because he needed to help her and had no malicious intent toward her. Even the readers had expressed surprise at his early debut.

Since Cen Zhengqi hadn't done that, the chances that he wanted to support Hè Wenzhao were low. He had probably chosen the second option.

He must be a person with ambition and brains, so what would he be doing now? Wenren È wasn't a particularly ambitious person and didn't really understand the thoughts of his subordinates in Xuanyuan Sect. But he could ask.

Cen Zhengqi was a man, so none of the Altar Masters could be trusted. Out of the Sect Protectors, Qiu Congxue didn't need to be considered, and Shu Yanyan had been killed by Hè Wenzhao and Cen Zhengqi in the book, so there was no way she could be him.

"Call over the Right Protector," Wenren È said.

Yin Hanjiang sent a message talisman and soon Shu Yanyan rushed into the Main Hall. She was actually dressed properly, though a flush tinged her face. She must've just been cultivating.

"Protector Shu, this Venerable can't figure something out and needs your help," Wenren È said.

"Ask away," Shu Yanyan said humbly. "This subordinate will say all that she knows."

"Let's say, one day, you obtained a divine book which foretold the future," Wenren È said. "In it, it said, without a doubt, that Wenren È would die and you would become the new master of Xuanyuan Sect. Afterwards, you would ascend to the immortal realm and become someone's subordinate, helping him kill the ruler of the immortal realm. With this book, you can predict the future. How would you act?"

Shu Yanyan: ...

Her heart beat wildly. Was her lord asking this because he knew that she wanted to assassinate him at the right opportunity, become the Lord of Demons, then ascend with her subordinates and lay low in the immortal realm until she had the chance to kill the leader of the immortals?

After further thought, she didn't think that was likely. Who didn't know that she wanted to replace Wenren È? Who bothered hiding that fact? No, the Venerable wasn't so paranoid; he encouraged the ambitions of the members of Xuanyuan Sect. What he said had to have some deeper meaning.