The Second Book

Zhongli Qian could only awkwardly explain, "It's Zhongli Wenzun and Zhongli Yinjiang of the Zhongli clan, who were members of a branch family two hundred years ago, later joining the clan as guest cultivators and becoming my advisors. After hearing about the volcano, I sent word to them, hoping they could lend a hand. Could they be permitted to enter?"

He was courteous and as a Mahayana cultivator, his words held weight. The Pavilion's disciples took him to see the Pavilion Master, to report the news.

"Zhongli Wenzun and Zhongli Yinjiang? Those names are..." The Pavilion Master rested his forehead on his fist as he read the greeting slips Zhongli Qian had written.

Zhongli Qian had offered his apologies that the two guest cultivators had neglected to give greeting slips, and thus he had written some up with their names on them, hoping for the Pavilion Master's forgiveness.

The Violet Spirit Pavilion Master's eyes were stuck on those two words "Wenzun" and "Yinjiang", so Zhongli Qian stepped in and said with a faint smile, "The Pavilion Master may not know that the Zhongli clan cultivates the path of sages. Each disciple chooses a branch of learning as their foundation. Each of the six arts of gentlemen—rites, music, archery, charioteering, literature, and arithmetic—are included. Zhongli Wenzun cultivates rites, while Zhongli Yinjiang cultivates music. These two have some scholarly whims and wanted to make sure others knew what they studied, so took the courtesy names Wenzun and Yinjiang. Their birth names are Zhongli Wen and Zhongli Yin.

"As their manner of greeting truly was improper, Qian would like to apologize in their stead."

He cupped his hands before him, his arms extended straight as he bent at the waist, manner extremely proper and polite.

The Pavilion Master straightened up and, after glancing at Zhongli Qian, said, "For these thirty years, news has been flying that the Zhongli clan embarrassed themselves and passed up on a great treasure when expelling Zhongli Qian. I thought it was an exaggerated rumor, but after meeting the Crane-Haired Wanderer in person, I have realized what a true gentleman should be."

"The Pavilion Master is overstating," Zhongli Qian said with a faint smile.

"The Violet Spirit Pavilion has always secluded itself from the outside world, and today we have received too many guests. Since the volcano has erupted with no warning, I originally wished to seal the mountain and allow no other outsiders, but at Young Master Zhongli's request, they can be allowed to stay a few days."

"Many thanks to the Pavilion Master." Seeing the Pavilion Master put down the greeting slips, a weight vanished from Zhongli Qian's chest.

He went to the Misty Dawn Bell with a few other Pavilion disciples. The group of female disciples had blushed upon seeing Zhongli Qian and bombarded him with questions along the way, asking why his hair was white and what relationship he had with Baili Qingmiao. Zhongli Qian answered straightforwardly, and when he said that he and Baili Qingmiao had only treated each other as siblings over these past thirty years, the girls' eyes brightened.

Within the Violet Spirit Pavilion's array, no one could fly except using the Pavilion Master's carriage and flying boats, and the boats traveled much slower than Zhongli Qian could. Sitting with a group of beautiful women, Zhongli Qian was uncomfortable the whole way, and at last managed to make it to the Misty Dawn Bell. As the disciples opened the barrier, Zhongli Qian sensed Wenren È and Yin Hanjiang enter. He made sure to speak first. "It's been a while, brothers."

He rushed before the disciples to grab the two's hands, trying to signal to them. The moment he touched Wenren È's hand, he hesitated.

He turned toward Wenren È, and though his eyes were blindfolded, confusion was clear on his face.