Reencounter on the Battlefield

Wenren È absolutely could not accept an exchange, not in this life or the next. All he needed to do was confirm that the Pavilion Master possessed the third volume of God of Annihilation. Where it was, whether or not it was fake, and whether or not the Pavilion Master was willing to hand it over didn't matter. After all, he would hand it over eventually.

Wenren È spread his hands casually. "In that case, why don't you let me have a look at the third volume?"

"What? Hahahaha, ridiculous!" The Pavilion Master shook his head. "Zhongli Kuang, your name suits you! Do you know exactly who you're facing?"

He raised his hands, ringing a pair of golden bells tied to his wrists. Their crisp sound brought forth a wave of spiritual energy and pressure, making the surrounding array resonate with it. The four spiritual stones that acted as the focuses of the array sat in the corners of the room, carved with patterns unique to the Violet Spirit Pavilion, and the bells caused the engravings to activate. Countless golden threads formed in the air, surrounding Wenren È.

With a turn of the Pavilion Master's wrists, the golden threads wrapped tight and bound Wenren È in their midst. This array affected both the body and soul. The Pavilion Master had set it up long before "Zhongli Kuang" entered. Even if Zhongli Kuang had used the first volume to obtain the locations of heavenly treasures and risen to the peak of Mahayana over these past years, he was still within the cultivation world. This array from the third volume was a divine array. Even if the Pavilion Master wasn't strong enough to use it at its full power, as long as he made the preparations, he could restrain an immortal of the upper realms.

Seeing that Zhongli Kuang was trapped, the Pavilion Master lowered his arms, letting his sleeves fall over the bells. "Zhongli Kuang, we don't have any conflict of interests. All I want is to take a look at the first volume, so why are you being so stubborn?"

"This Venerable isn't being stubborn," Wenren È said from within the array. "This Venerable is trying to figure something out."

"This Venerable?" The Pavilion Master frowned. That title brought back unpleasant memories for him, but it was of no matter. Even if he did meet that person today, he had no more need to fear him. "Even you can call yourself Venerable?"

Wenren È put away his book and sighed. "Ever since you acted, this Venerable has been considering how to take you prisoner without alerting anyone else. As this Venerable's powers are immense, it is quite a hard task."

"Such arrogance!" the Pavilion Master said, but he raised his golden bells again, watching Zhongli Kuang vigilantly. Zhongli Kuang might've learned some secret technique from within the pages of volume one.

"This Venerable truly doesn't wish to expose his identity... ah, but now that I already know why you're a man, I suppose it doesn't really matter."

Wenren È stood up, an unseen wind stirring his robes. They changed from scholarly clothes to his own black robes embroidered with gold threads, as a halberd of the same colors appeared in his hand.

"You're not Zhongli Kuang! You're Wenren È!" the Pavilion Master cried. His pupils shrank, and he seemed to be remembering something painful.

"Forty-two years ago, this Venerable made an agreement with you, hoping that within a hundred years you would be worth fighting," Wenren È said with a cold smile. "From what I see, it would be useless to give you a thousand years. This Venerable has grown tired of waiting."

Blinding light radiated from the Seven-Killing Halberd as it channeled the power of its star. The entire mountain began to shake.

The Shangqing Sect disciples who were currently discussing amongst themselves in Baili Qingmiao's room felt a tremor under their feet. "What's going on?"