1

A tenacious figure ran with much effort beneath the hot sun.

Her originally fair face had turned red from the heat, and her dry lips appeared as if it was covered with frost. 

A small opening had cracked on her lower lip, though the blood had already dried.

One couldn't tell her specific age from the distance, but her height and posture indicated that she should be a young woman.

She was carrying a military backpack, wearing camouflage clothes, and a pair of military-grade leather shoes. She was presently running at a resolute pace.

This place was an uninhabited island, named 'The Desert'  by the researchers.

The girl who was running with weights on her back was called Lisa, and she had already lived on this island for nearly a year. 

This place was not actually a military training camp, and Lisa was not a soldier either. She was a recent graduate of a certain university, and she was twenty-five years old.

One year ago, the massive JE corporation announced that they had developed a time machine. They were about to launch humankind's very first travel through time, and they were looking for volunteers all across the world.

Once they were employed, they would not just receive a huge sum; they would also be able to experience the first ever time travel in human history.

The research lab received over two million applications in just a short month.

They screened through the names thoroughly to leave only two hundred thousand people, then they transported them to'The Desert'.

The JE corporation livestreamed the entire process for the sake of fairness, and they eliminated contestants at a rate of thousands each month.

Millions of netizens praised it as 'The most brutal competition in all of history.'

Once this program was aired, the corporation's stock and market value skyrocketed.

Some said that the so-called time travel was just the JE corporation's grand scam, while some said that this was a new chapter in human technology.

The screening progressed for nearly a year.

Now there were only ten candidates left on this little island.

Nine of them were male. 

Lisa was the only female candidate.

Lisa became a focus point for the audience. Her name was all over platforms, headlines, forum titles...

But Lisa was unaware of such things. She was cut off from the world from the moment that she stepped on the island.

That was exactly what Lisa wanted. 

These days, it was impossibly hard to truly cut oneself off from the world.

"Hurry up! There's thirty seconds left!" The instructor shouted from the end point.

The other nine male candidates were already resting at the end point; Lisa was the last one.

'Thirty seconds left' referred to the time left to nineteen minutes and thirty seconds. 

Anyone who took more than nineteen minutes and thirty seconds to run five kilometres with a weight of thirty-five kilograms would be eliminated.

Countless netizens watched the screen anxiously...

The only female candidate would be eliminated if she could not complete this trial within the set time.