43

The next day

Jennie got up early in the morning, but Lisa was still sound asleep.

Ruby had called Lisa over after dinner yesterday night. 

With the reason that she was feeling unwell, she had 'asked' Lisa to copy a classic book on Confucianism for her.

This world's letters had a lot of strokes in the first place, and Lisa wasn't used to writing it too. 

She had copied it all the way until the sun was about to rise, then she finally submitted her work.

Lisa knew that Ruby was avenging Jennie, but she couldn't do anything about it.

Eddard had said that it was inadvisable to tell Ruby that Lisa was only pretending to be unseemly.

Firstly, she was a woman who didn't have any guards up, and secondly, Ruby would often meet with some other wealthy ladies for tea.

A group of women would inevitably talk about household affairs; if she accidentally let something slip, they would have lost the entire game.

And so, Ruby became angrier the more she thought.

Jennie freshened up by herself, then she sat down by the bedside.

She nudged Lisa a little, then she said softly, "It's time to get up, we have to give our respects to father and mother today. Once we have breakfast, you can come back and take a nap. Does that sound good?"

Lisa forced her eyes to open by a slit, then she said powerlessly, "I can't, I'm too tired... Can you help me ask for leave? I haven't slept well for the past few days. Mom called me over yesterday to copy Confucian classics for a night again, and I have to rewrite it if I made a single mistake. My back and shoulders are still sore right now."

Lisa was tired out from building up her reputation as a wastrel as soon as possible for the past few days.

Jennie brushed away the stray hair before Lisa's eyes, then she answered, "If you want to copy classics again tonight, go back to sleep then."

Lisa rolled her eyes majorly to the back of her head, then she pushed herself up from the bed to sit on her shins instead. 

She mussed up her long hair until the top of her head turned into a bird's nest.

Lisa gazed at Jennie, then she cried in despair, "Ah! Why is my life so hard? This is the idea you and your dad came up with for me, and even if I don't talk about how it's tiring me to death, I still have to get persecuted at mom's place too! My arm, back, and waist are killing me right now. You have no idea how serious your mom's prayer hall is; there are like a few hundred statues of various deities, and there's incense smoke all around. No matter how bold I am, I wouldn't dare to be careless in an environment like that. I have to keep my back straight, and I don't even know how to write; it's torture!"

Jennie's eyes were nothing but soft, "Then what should we do?"

Lisa whined twice, then she said, "I don't care, you have to give me a horse spa this time, otherwise I'm not getting up."

Jennie was taken aback for a moment when she heard this new term.

She considered those three words that Lisa said for a while, then she asked, "Are you talking about... a dish? But... do you eat horse meat?"

To Jennie, Lisa was from a General's family, and she had treated her steed extremely well on the way to Mayon mountain, so it should be impossible for her to eat horse meat.

Lisa was taken aback too.

Once she realized what had happened, she held onto her stomach as she laughed until she fell on her back, and she laughed so hard that there were tears in her eyes.