16

LISA

"Begin the banquet." Master Stark shouted.

A hundred house servants moved out at once. 

Steamy, hot, fragrant dishes were served to the table.

The main hall was reserved for the distinguished guests, while the front courtyard outside the hall and the side hall had plenty of tables too. However, they were served food at the same time.

There were only eight people seated at our table. Without including the soup and rice, there were twelve dishes in total.

Each dish was complete in appearance, fragrance and taste. Great attention was also given to its plating.  

I wanted to start once all of the dishes were served, but Jackson held my wrist right away.

He said quietly close to my ear, "Don't be too anxious. We may only eat once the highest seat has started."

I looked around; sure enough, no one had touched their chopsticks.

My eyes automatically landed to the Duke, he's basically the highest rank among these people. 

After a few minutes he picked a piece of food, then I noticed the Sir Magistrate moved his chopsticks after. 

Master Stark followed and picked a piece of fish to put it in his plate, then the guests below finally started to eat.

Jackson let go of my hand, then he said quietly, "Please go ahead, you can eat now."

My eyes were practically gleaming as I looked at the meat dishes on the table, but I still chose the bowl of soup for myself first, then I picked up a pastry to eat at a leisurely pace.  

I had been hungry for too long these days, so my stomach was very weak right now. If I ate a lot of meat right away, I might get stomach problems on the spot. I still had that common sense.  

Once I felt that my stomach was already warmed up, I started to eat the vegetable dishes for another layer of padding.

After a few minutes, I had already started to move. 

I stood up with my plate, then I picked up a roast pork rib.

Chopsticks were somewhat troublesome for this, so I held on one end of the bone to start eating right off it instead.

I cleaned up one rib very quickly. It was probably the kind of rib that even a loyal guard dog of the estate would turn up its nose at.

I got up once again to pick up a piece of fish and a few diced bamboo shoots. It was cleared away in a whirlwind once again.

I let out a shallow breath.

Jackson poured a cup of wine for me at a good time; I turned to give him a smile, which meant 'not bad, old bro, you're very considerate.'

I raised my wine cup to click it against Jackson's wine cup, then I tipped my head back to down it at once in a bold manner. While, he covered half of his face with his wide sleeve to sip down the wine in his cup.

I put down my wine, then I swept a discreet look around.

I naturally caught the contempt that the other guests have yet to hide from their eyes, but I cast my gaze down with an indifferent smile; I did not take it to heart. 

Instead, I nudged Jackson with my elbow, then I said in a hushed voice, "If you were at our place, we might just actually become good friends."

Jackson smiled, "Though we have not known each other for long, I already see you as my close friend. Why would you say such words?"