44

JENNIE

"Are you alright?" Lisa asked as she helped me towards the bedroom.

I turned to meet her worried gaze. 

I mused for a moment, then decided to go with a different explanation.

"I feel a little dizzy all of a sudden, but I'll be fine once I rest for a while back in our room."

I knew that Lisa had an extremely strong pride. 

I feared that she would think too deeply and form a knot in her heart, then she would get sick again because she had no way to relieve it.

If feeling 'unwell' would keep Lisa from thinking for the moment or to get them out from that awkward situation earlier, I would be glad to lie in bed for a day.

Sure enough, Lisa became nervous once she heard that from me.

She put more force into supporting my arm without noticing it, but her pace slowed down instead.

"How did this happen? You were still fine when you got up this morning, did you not sleep well yesterday night? Or did you get tired from reading account books for too long these days?"

Warmth filled my heart.

It was clearly her who thought of the 'coughing' signal, and in the end, she fully believed something that I said on the fly.

Did this person really have no doubts towards me at all?

Could there be such a coincidence in this world?

I had coughed five times exactly as she had instructed earlier, but once I said that, she believed it just like that.  

I leaned a little more towards her.

Lisa had a very nice fragrance; it was a sort of mixed fragrance that I had never smelled before I knew her.

I did not want her to think about Victor anymore, so I attempted to act spoiled, "I don't know either, I just don't feel really well. Do you have anything else planned for today? Could you stay in the estate with me for the rest of the day?"

"Of course, how could I have any plans? Even if I did, I can still prioritize what's important, right? Accompanying the sick is the most important thing of all. Do you want to get physician Jill here for a look? Or should I get the kitchen to make a bowl of brown sugar ginger tea for you?" Lisa said without any hesitation.

"I'll have a bowl of ginger tea first, we'll see then. Mother will definitely learn about it if we call physician Jill here. I'm just feeling a little unwell, I'll be fine after some rest. There's no need to worry mother over this."

"Mm, alright. Let's go back first then. Should I carry you on my back?"

My face reddened, then I shook my head, "I'm not that unwell. We're in broad daylight, and there are servants everywhere in the estate. What will the servants think if they saw us?"

"Then walk a little slower, steady now."

"Mm."

Although I said that, this half-support, half-hugging position was already very intimate.

It was already seldom seen among married couples, but I had no intention to break away from it.

Perhaps it was because she was a woman?

The two of us walked quietly back towards the bedroom.

My expression was as calm as always, but I couldn't help but feel some lingering fear in my heart.

How had I not noticed it before?

That man was actually such a murky and despicable person. It was a thousand fortunes that he had not returned to carry out the wedding as planned.