24

JENNIE

"It's getting late in the hour. Jennie, stay and have some family talk with your mother. Lisa, follow me to the study." After chatting for a while more, father spoke.

Lisa cast a doubtful gaze towards me. She's probably wondering why they have to talk in private.

I was already starting to understand that she was a very expressive person.

Once Lisa left, mother pulled me to sit on the seat next to her, then she asked quietly, "The two of you didn't consummate yesterday night?"

"Mm." I simply nodded.

"Were you unwilling to or was he really drunk?" She asked next.

"He was drunk."

Mother picked up my hand to pat it, then she said earnestly, "Although Lisa's background does not match yours, what's done is done... Don't be too cold to him. As for that V, you can just forget about him."

"This daughter will follow mother's instructions."

"When it comes down to it, your father and I are the ones who have let you down. Marriage is the most important event in a woman's life, but yours was messed up to such a point. How fortunate that we are protected by our ancestors. I think Lisa doesn't seem like someone with evil intentions, he's just a little silly, and he lacks some subtlety. He might not suit your personality."

"Mother does not need to worry, this daughter will abide by my duty as a wife."

Mother sighed, then she continued after a moment of consideration, "Simplicity has its benefits too. He is matrilocally married after all. If his thinking is too profound, I would be uneasy instead. With his personality, he surely won't be able to escape your grasp if you put the slightest effort into it. Your word is what matters in this family in the end, your dad and I can rest assured under the nine springs too."

"Why would mother say that? You and father are both healthy, you will surely live to a ripe old age."

"That's right, mom is still waiting to hold a little grandson in my arms. Once the two of you have a son, then our family will have no more worries. That's why, my daughter... before you get pregnant, just indulge him more in the bedroom. That child appears somewhat frail, but he doesn't look like a sickly one. He has a good appearance too. Do you remember what mom taught you on the night before the wedding?"

My face turned thoroughly red in an instant. I cast my gaze down, then I called quietly, "Mother..."

My mother smiled, then she coaxed, "It's just the two of us women here, it's fine to talk more. This is a path that all women must cross, you'll understand once you have walked over it."

"...Understood, mother."

"Don't just say that you will, I have to check your shougongsha tomorrow!"

"I've got it."

***

LISA

We were currently at Master Stark's study room, he was lecturing me for an hour now.

He was saying words that I am having a hard time to understand.

He quoted classic works often, but I had never heard of those quotes before.