68

Back at the inn

I ordered the manager to prepare a good, strong horse for me.

He was to feed it well and prepare some dry rations for the road, along with silver pieces.

Hearing that, the manager asked anxiously, "What does the young master intend to do? Are you returning or taking a long trip?"

"I'm going back tomorrow morning. The end of the year is coming; your lady wrote me a letter to tell me to go back sooner."

I couldn't help but smile.

The manager revealed an understanding smile too, then he said, "It's freezing outside, this one should still prepare a horse carriage for the young master. If you can't make it into a city on time, a carriage would at least be a good place to sleep in for the night."

I thought for a moment, then replied, "It's better to prepare a horse. The snow keeps falling these days, it'll be hard to travel in a carriage. If I got stuck in the snow, that'll delay things even more. That fur coat I just bought is pretty warm, I probably won't feel the cold if I wore an extra layer underneath it. Go and prepare it, then."

"Understood, this one will do so right now. Is the young master returning alone or with Taoist master?"

"I'm going back on my own. Cultivator Jisoo still has a few things to handle, so she can't go back just yet."

"This... If this one may ask the young master, is Sir Damon and Sir Stefan going back with you?"

"We probably won't be on the same journey. The two of them escorted cultivator Jisoo here on orders given by the government office, so they should be going back with cultivator Yuna instead." I said.

The manager looked troubled as he said, "Young master... In that case, perhaps it will be better to wait a little more. This one will have no worries if you went back with those two lords, but if the young master returns alone, this one truly can't rest assured."

"Why?"

The manager looked to the left and right.

Seeing that no one was around, he said in a hushed voice, "Young master, the annual revenue should be entering the capital soon. All of those outlaws count on that silver to make a living. Although there are officers who will escort it, the sheer amount of silver makes it worth a desperate attempt. There are always cases of annual revenue submissions getting stolen each year, that's why it's not safe on the road. The young master dresses splendidly; this one will venture to say that the young master will easily become a target for robbers once you reach a secluded area. If the young master insists on returning, perhaps... this one will call a few highly skilled guards from a estate-owned guards-for-hire to escort you back, would that be alright?"

I considered it for a while, but still turned it down, "I know, I'll do my best to travel during the day. I'll head into a regular inn once it's night time. Actually, I don't have any valuable items on me. It'll only give robbers the wrong impression if I brought so many guards with me, but I appreciate the thought. I still have things to do, so I'll be going out for a while. If anyone comes to look for me, just say that I've gone to the courier hostel to talk with cultivator Jisoo. Don't say anything else."

"Understood."

I left the inn and headed to the streets to shop for presents.

I had already bought three articles of clothing before, but felt that it wasn't enough to bring back from a rare trip to the capital city.

The manager's concerns were reasonable, but I had my own considerations too.

Firstly, the three pieces of winter clothing I bought for the family took up a lot of space, so it was already in my inventory.