12

House Baratheon

Eddard came to the Baratheon estate at the city's south. 

He ordered the butler to deliver his visitation card, then he waited inside his carriage.

The gates of the estate opened a short while later.

Winterfell's magistrate, Robert Baratheon, came out to welcome him in person.

The two of them traded warm pleasantries for a while, then they entered the estate.

Eddard put down his disguise once they were in Robert's study. He revealed a worried expression as he sighed heavily.

"What's the matter, Ed?" Robert asked.

Robert, was a good friend of Eddard. 

Robert's wife was the younger sister of the late Grand Duke's wife.

The Grand Duke, Edward Targaryen II was the Emperor's younger brother. He used to possess military power and occupy a part of the land. Later on, the Emperor was convinced by slander.

He charged Edward II with the crime of 'disrespect' in order to retrieve his military power. He had simply intended to make an indirect warning to force Edward II to return the military tally voluntarily, but Edward II had an intense personality. He was proud and arrogant; he actually battered himself to death before the Emperor to prove his sincerity.

The Emperor saw the errors of his ways after Edward's death. 

He ordered Edward's legitimate son to inherit his father's position, and seal him a title: Duke of Tryon.

Perhaps it was because of the debt in his conscience; his Majesty the Emperor treated his nephew with great care and favour.

Additionally, the Duke of Tryon, Edward III was the child of Robert's wife's older sister. He would have to call Robert 'uncle'.

Before Edward's incident, Robert was once a third-tier official in the Capital. He was thrown in prison due to his connections with Edward II.

Eddard had used eight hundred liangs of silver to bribe up and down until he could finally rescue Robert and his entire family from the prison.

After Edward's death, the Emperor released most of Edward's 'party members'.

Robert suddenly saw the light; he resigned from the core of power to request for a job as the magistrate of Winterfell instead, to head to Eddard's territory for shelter.

Eddard had stayed up through the night when he learned about Victor and the Minister's plot. 

He screened through all of his connections carefully.

House Stark possessed many political resources. 

In comparison, Robert appeared to have almost none. But in terms of reliability, there was no one worthier than him.

And besides, the Minister of Revenue was backed by the Highest Consort. 

Robert had the House Targaryen sitting behind him, so he was just the right choice.

Eddard told him about the course of events. 

Robert frowned once he heard everything. He had been cultured and refined for a lifetime, so he could not say anything crude.

He could only gasp, "What a disgrace to the educated class."

"Rob, I'm already in my fifties. She is my only legitimate daughter, please... I need your full support."