45

House Stark was the top merchant family in the kingdom.

As the person in charge of the House, Jennie was qualified to sit in the same private room as chairman Bolton.

Of course, Robert and Victor would sit in this private room later too.

Bolton gestured towards the secondary seats, "Lady Stark and young master Manoban may sit here."

"Alright."

There were still a few other guests in the room.

They got up one after the other and gave their greetings towards the two of them.

Jennie and Lisa returned their greetings one by one until they finally reached their seats.

Lisa went behind Jennie's seat, then she moved the chair out for Jennie in the standard etiquette of gentlemen.

Once Jennie sat down, she pushed the chair back to a position that was just right at a suitable time.

The angle and distance was just right; Jennie sat very comfortably.

She turned to Lisa, "Thank you, husband."

Lisa simply smiled without saying anything more, then she sat down on the seat next to Jennie.

The rest of the guests had noticed their interaction. Although they did not reveal anything on their faces, each of them carried their own thoughts.

Hot tea was served, and so began the tea party.

Lisa had made the decision to help the Stark get out of its crisis, so she listened very seriously.

Everyone here were major merchants in the city; there were not a lot of chances to gather all of them in one hall.

Lisa planned to study well this time, and gather some information from their conversations while she was at it.

Lisa fell into deep thought.

Looking at these people, Lisa felt that the kingdom's business circles had already become unbridled to a definite level.

If she was the Emperor, she would also find a chance to give an indirect warning by making someone an example.

As the tip of the pyramid, the Stark was undoubtedly the best sacrificial offering...

Lisa finally understood why she would feel so uneasy whenever she thought about the estate's situation.

It turned out that she had never fully realized that the Stark's crisis was not its own problem; it was that the entire societal environment had reached a point where it needed to be shuffled.

It would be very hard for the Stark to turn things around unless they gave away all of their property.

At that thought, Lisa's heart felt unusually heavy.

She raised her eyes to look at the three cheerful people who had already raised eight more copper to every dou, then she turned to look at Jennie who was sitting quietly without participating the entire time.

What could Lisa really do in the end?

Advise Jennie to give away all of her property?

That definitely wouldn't work.

Jennie wasn't the only person whose word counted in the vast family business.

Then what could she do to save Jennie?

Unless she could get to know the Emperor, to talk with the true person-in-charge and make him believe her words, to let the Emperor know that the Stark was different from a majority of merchants; this was practically impossible!