38

After breakfast

Ruby went to chat about revelations in life over tea with the two great masters at the monastery again.

The ritual would only happen tomorrow; seeing that there wasn't really anyone around the monastery that Jennie stayed in, and that it was very close to the back mountain too, Lisa suggested, "Nini, I heard from mom that the sea of clouds at the back mountain of the temple is an incredible view. Want to go and check it out together? Do you know how to get there?"

"Sure. The scenery there is very beautiful indeed, I'll lead you there."

"Mm!"

Once they left the room, Lisa supported Jennie to keep up the act, but she keenly sensed that Jennie was not as natural about it this time.

Although she worked hard to conceal it by pretending that she was the same as usual, Lisa had still noticed how she stiffened briefly when she first touched her.

That was a sign of resistance.  

Lisa pretended not to notice it, but she couldn't help but sigh in her heart.

Even on the technologically advanced and comparatively free earth, there are still people who viewed same-sex love as a great scourge. 

There was even a word to describe that kind of people: homophobes.

Jennie's behavior couldn't be said to be homophobic, but Lisa really wanted to let Jennie understand that even if she liked girls, she absolutely wasn't like what she imagined her to be.

She did not hold unspeakable thoughts to every single woman around her, and she was definitely not the kind of person who looked for chances to take advantage of others with the benefit of having the same gender, because she was a girl too. 

She also loved girls; she still had the most basic respect for others.

In the world of homosexuality, one would still need friends of the same sex. 

Close friends, and trusted friends.

However, Lisa did not say anything. 

Through their time together, Lisa could already get a rough sense of Jennie's bottom line.

She knew what went beyond Jennie's level of acceptance; it was already great that she could behave like this.

The two of them walked silently to a small remote path at the back mountain, then Lisa let go of Jennie voluntarily.

"There's less people here, so there probably won't be anyone watching. Let's walk slowly, the scenery along the way is quite beautiful too."

"Alright."

The back mountain path was not a built path; it was purely a dirt path that was formed through frequent footsteps.

Branches would stick out from time to time, and Lisa would always push them away with her wide sleeve to let Jennie pass smoothly.

The water vapour in the air thickened the further they walked, and the ever-present smell of incense faded a lot too.

The smell of trees, flowers, grass and soil mixed together, blending into the most primitive natural fragrance. 

Mixed with the water vapour, it filled one's lungs, cleansing their soul.

The mountain was very quiet, though the tweeting of birds could be heard once in a while.

Far from the noise of the mortal world, one's heart would quiet down too. 

Nature soothed the unease and restlessness in the bottom of Lisa's heart with her soundless power.

Lisa looked up at the cloudless sky above, then she looked far into the distance along the dirt path.