61

"Cultivator, the capital city is just ahead."

My mood had improved, and I turned on the VCR to film the capital city of the kingdom.

Perhaps it was because this was the land beneath the Emperor's feet; the capital city's atmosphere was even heavier than it was in Winterfell.

White banners draped down from the parapets, and strips of white cloth were tied to the flag poles on the city wall too, dancing along the biting wind.

The capital city was close to the South, and it appeared even more desolate at this season.

Out of safety concerns, the trees around the castle city were uprooted to make way for a ten metre wide moat.

The city looked lonesome, though it also gave a sense of strength in solitude.

It was hard to not feel solemn at such a scene. 

Even I felt nothing towards the Crown Prince's passing couldn't help but turn solemn once I approached the city.

The drawbridge was let down during the day. 

Soldiers patrolled the castle wall and gates, and there were soldiers standing at the gates with polearms too. 

All of us wore a strip of white cloth around our heads.

I reached up to touch my own forehead.

I relaxed once I felt the cloth there.

The bright yellow imperially-granted token stuck onto our horse carriage looked utterly garish in such an environment.

The horse carriage still had some distance to the city gates when soldiers started to run towards us.

They stopped before the horse carriage, then they kneeled on one knee, "May we know which Taoist master or eminent monk this is? Please give your Taoist name and the name of your practice so that this humble one may check the register."

The carriage door opened up.

Cultivator Jisoo jumped down the horse carriage casually with her hands behind her back, then she came towards the soldier to help him up.

She swished her horsetail whisk, made a sign before her chest, then she said, "This humble monk's Taoist name is Jisoo."

The soldier registered profound respect at once; he bowed towards cultivator Jisoo, then he said, "So it was a Taoist great master. A few from the Black temple arrived yesterday too. Please come this way, cultivator, this one will lead you to the courier station."

"Many thanks."

I escorted Jisoo to the courier station, then bid my goodbye, "Cultivator, this junior has no official position or tier, it is not reasonable for me to stay in this courier station, so I'll bid goodbye here."

"Have you arranged a place to stay?"

"Wife has told me before we left that the Stark has a few businesses in the capital city, and a pretty good inn too, so I'll stay there. Once this junior has settled in, I'll send someone to inform you of its address. If the cultivator needs me, you can send someone there to call me anytime."

"You've worked hard this journey, rest well once you have reached your lodging. I have checked the register earlier; it should be a few days before it's time to enter the palace and commence the ritual. Once it's done, this humble monk will tell Minji to look for you."

I understood once I heard that.

So she was keeping Rose with her then?

That's fine too, I would have more ease on my own.