6

May 15th

I was woken up by all of the noise, I slowly open my eyes and let out a sigh.

Today was a major market day for the city; the local authorities would open a portion of the city streets as a market area.

I was presently lying on a tree near the city wall. 

I had already been in this city for nearly half a month. 

The temples and abandoned houses in the city were already occupied by groups of beggars.

I am a woman after all, I couldn't always sleep in the alleys where people frequented. 

I didn't have any money on me, so I had to pick a tree as my bed for the night.  

I jumped down from the height of two meters, then I came to a well. 

I drew up some water to take two gulps.

Growl...

I pressed on my hollow stomach. 

I was already so hungry that my stomach was rumbling.

There were still a few bottles of water and two packs of compressed dry rations in my inventory, but those were emergency rations. 

I did not dare to finish it, even if I hadn't eaten anything for nearly two days now.

I sighed, then I drank a few more mouthfuls of well water.

If humans were iron, food would be steel. 

The excitement that I had when I first entered the city was about to be ground to dust by my terrible hunger.

It's not that I hadn't thought about earning money before, but the beggars in this city were very 'professional'.

They either pounded their heads on the ground as if they were pounding garlic or cried for their parents.

I mostly just sat in the corner with a tile placed in front of me, though I would call out once in a while. 

Of course such 'unprofessionalism' wouldn't win me any charity.

I thought about performing for a living, so I called a bunch of people over to perform a military drill, then I did a few somersaults too.

I learned the hard way that this kingdom actually had 'city administration'; street performers had to apply for documents of approval from the government office first, and they had to pay taxes...

If I wasn't a fast runner, I might be eating in a prison cell right now.

There was always another plan.

I brought out a few gold pieces from my inventory, then I visited the pawn shop. 

Although I couldn't spend my gold in this kingdom, melting it for accessories should still get me a few coins, right?

Unexpectedly, once the store clerk saw the color of those gold pieces, he decided that I must have stolen it. He intended to take me to the local authorities.

How fortunate that I was a fast runner...

"I am so hungry!"

I sat down under a tree, leaning back against the tree trunk.

I was somewhat done with being a beggar. 

I considered changing my cover, but I couldn't think of any good ideas at the moment.

Being a beggar was the least likely cover to cause a butterfly effect. 

Other than that... my illiteracy itself had already eliminated a lot of possibilities.