66

JENNIE

"You were muddled!"

"Time was short, this daughter was forced by the situation. This daughter had no way to ask for father's advice; may father forgive this daughter for making such a decision."

Father's rage came from the 'one class' of silver used for the annual revenue.

Victor sent his people here that very afternoon as if he feared that I would go back on my word.

They brought twenty horse carriages meant for carrying annual revenue silver and parked them outside of the estate's front gate in a straight line.

Father put down what he was doing once he heard that I promised to provide one class, then he ordered someone to call me to the study immediately.

"You're too rash! How could you make such a big decision just like that, did you even think about it? It's easy to start a business and a challenge to keep it going; after all of its years, is the estate going to perish in your hands?"

"Father, please cease your anger. This daughter thinks that one class might be a lot to give, but not to an extent where it would damage the estate's vitality."

He slapped his desk and reproached harshly, "To think that I've instructed you and guided you meticulously for so many years, yet you can't even understand such simple logic? The estate can afford one class alone this year, but what about next year? That number can only increase, not decrease! If it goes on like this year after year, how much longer will the estate last?"

"Father's teaching is right, this daughter knows my wrongs."

He sighed heavily, "From today onwards, you are to go back and reflect on yourself behind closed doors. The estate's matters... can be put on hold for now."

"Understood, this daughter shall obey."

I got up, gave a parting courtesy, then left his study without looking back again.

I looked up at the azure blue sky, then headed towards my own courtyard.

Indeed, it would be unsound for me to donate one class if the case with your concubine never happened.

Father's behavior chilled my heart completely. 

In his heart, I will always be an outsider.

I did not regret my decision in the slightest. 

Father's decision to temporarily reclaim authority over the family was part of my plan too.

The end of the year was the busiest time for the estate.

I could take this time to do some necessary actions.

As for that one class of silver, it was just a seed that I planted in convenience. 

It would show its worth once it sprouts.

***

Capital City

In the turn of an eye, a few days passed again.