25

JENNIE

"I have left you unsupervised for just a few days, yet you have actually done such a thing? The pawn shop has been a part of the family's business ever since my grandfather was in this world. It has lasted for three generations, yet when it came to your hands, you actually made such a despicable deal!"

He wiped the sweat from his forehead with his sleeve.

I was usually mild, and spoke little, but I had an imposing presence when I was truly angered.

"Answering my lady, it was young master Jeofrey... he heard that His Grace loved weapons the most, hence he took his people to the shop that day to search for good treasures. Young master set his eyes on that sword right away. This... his temperament, my lady knows about it too. And besides, they are a shareholder of our shop. This one is just a servant before the him. This one has already told him that it was a pledged item, but when he heard that it was pledged by a beggar, he took the sword without another word."

He referred to my cousin, Jeofrey Stark. His grandfather was the blood-related brother of my grandfather, so he was a relative that was neither distant nor close.

At the mention of my older cousin, I felt my headache turn stronger.

I eased up my tone to ask, "Then where is that sword now?"

"Well... this one heard that His Grace Lord Tryon has already returned to his sealed land. Based on young master Jeofrey's fast-paced nature, that sword might have already been... offered as a tribute to His Grace."

I fell silent.

Before I could speak again, Jake's voice travelled through the door, "My lady, I have something to report."

I turned my head slightly.

Alison who stood next to me walked towards the door, then she returned a moment later.

"Lady, the government office sent someone here to give a message, he said that... the young master caused trouble at one of our businesses, broke more than a few things, and had a fight with the store clerks. He is also injured too, he told us to send someone there." She whispered in my ear.

My heart jumped when I heard that Lisa was injured.

Alison asked in a small voice, "Should Jake take a trip to the government office? To fetch the young master back?"

"Prepare the horse carriage, I'm going to the government office in person." I answered without a second thought.

"Understood."

I was not sure why Lisa would cause trouble at our shop, but I knew about our own shops. 

Each shop employed a few built and capable helpers just to handle sudden conflicts.

Lisa was a woman after all, she couldn't have gained any advantages over those people.

I was very worried. 

The image of Lisa getting her hands and legs broken flashed in my mind.

"You may go back first, I will report to father about this matter before making a decision. Once you return, send a visiting card to my uncle for me. Just say that I will make a visit in three days."

"Understood."