18

LISA

For the past three days, someone has delivered food to me every day.

The people in the estate did not actually rough up me; they had just arranged for a few capable helpers to guard me in shifts.

The night was deep, I turned on the VCR, then I muttered quietly, "I'm Lisa Manoban, a top candidate of the JE corporation time travel project. Today is the hundred and sixty-third day since I came to this time and space, and it is now the third night that I've been locked in the Stark's woodshed. It kind of stings when I think about it: other than the inn, this woodshed is the second cozy place that I've slept in ever since I came to this kingdom. Time travel isn't as fun as I had thought it would be. I don't have cheats here. I can't read, and I have no money or registration, so I pretty much can't do anything here. Although this place might just be a parallel world, in light of the old professor's warnings, I have to be responsible for the future people on this planet. That's why I can't display a majority of the knowledge I learned on earth before anyone here."

I still wanted to say something, but all of my words were stuck in my throat. 

I blink five times to turn off the VCR.

After cooling my head for three days, the idea to knock the guards out and escape had mostly diminished. 

I had no idea why, but whenever I had that urge to escape, the scene of the young lady Stark fainting would always flash in my mind.

When I was learning history on the Island, the professor had said before that some dynasties were so restrictive to women that it was almost cruel.

If an unrelated man accidentally sees the arm of an unmarried woman, that woman must marry that man. Otherwise, the woman would have lost her chastity.

Some intense women would even choose to hang themselves to save the reputation of their families.

The professor warned us that we must not compare the people of the old era with modern ways of thinking, especially towards women.

During the lecture, I was the only one who made anything of it. 

I thought that since I was the only woman among the candidates, that sort of thing probably wouldn't happen to me.

I had not expected that it would, unfortunately, come true. Although the nature of it was different, the situation was pretty much the same.

Now that I had calmed down, I couldn't help but think.

If I escaped, would she take her own life?

Once that thought emerged, I started to feel terrified. 

The sort of dread that comes from unintentionally causing someone's death pervaded my heart.

I wanted to have a chat with her. 

We were both women here; perhaps she would have a reason to break off the marriage that could protect her reputation once she learned about my identity.

As for the others, I would not dare to reveal my identity to them. 

I kept feeling that the men in this world were not actually reliable.

For example, Jackson, who had just given me a good impression, sold me out right after that.

And that group of little beggars that I met during my birthday a few days ago—I had given them kind advice and anthelmintic pills, and look what happened?