17

The surroundings turned quiet. 

Everyone focused their gazes on Lisa and Edward. 

Edward was still holding that red slip of fate in an offering position, but Lisa was still not taking it.

Quickly, some people realized in surprise that this beggar seemed to not fear death. He actually dared to meet the Duke's eyes, and...

Was it their imagination?

Those two people seemed to be standing against each other as equals.

Lisa stood in a stalemate with Edward without any fear, but she was also calculating her chances of charging her way out of here.

This era used metal weapons; it was very hard for swords to make fatal injuries. However, the duke's bodyguards were not to be underestimated either.

Jackson tugged on Lisa's sleeve.

Lisa furrowed her brows, did some reconsideration, then she took a step back.

She gave a respectful courtesy towards Edward, "May your Grace understand, this lowly one's identity and status is truly no match for young lady Stark. May your Grace rescind the order."

Edward's expression eased, then he said, "The Stark is a big and wealthy household. Since it is a heaven-sent fate, there must be some sense in it. Even if you have nothing to your name, the Stark will not mistreat you, you can rest assured."

Robert and Eddard came up to Edward.

Edward turned to ask Eddard, "Isn't that right? Master Stark."

"Naturally." Eddard's expression was utterly terrible.

He looked closely at Lisa; seeing that her appearance was still passable, he finally had a reason that could convince himself.

Jackson did not dare to look at his father's expression at all. He had greatly underestimated Lisa's backbone; Jackson blamed himself greatly for how much things had escalated, but he did not regret it.  

In his parents eyes, he was just an unremarkable loiterer. His brothers have already become officials in the court. 

His oldest brother inherited the family legacy, while his second brother continued the bloodline of House Baratheon. He was naturally insignificant.

Actually, speaking from the angle of repayment, marrying into the Stark was not something completely unacceptable to Jackson. He had to be of some use to this family after all, and it would be good to gratify his parents just once.

It's just that... His heart already belonged to someone. Ever since he saw that person three years ago, Jackson swore that he would take no one but her as his wife.

He had not mentioned this to his family before because he knew that his father would never agree to this marriage.

The person he liked was a famous prostitute who was known throughout the land for her enchanting beauty— Kristen.

Although Kristen only sold her performance and not her body, once she was in that filthy place, she could not wash it off for the rest of her life.

Because of that, Jackson frequented that amorous site. 

The weird poem that he made at the brothel was his confession towards her.  

Although Kristen had always treated Jackson gently when he was a guest, she had not answered his feelings before.

Even so, Jackson could not keep anyone else in his heart anymore.

Jackson planned to get a job as an official in another province so that he could live independently away from Winterfell, then he would think of a way to take Kristen out of that place.