22

Jennie

Even though I lived in comfort and luxury ever since I was little, I would always do private matters on my own.

Activities such as bathing or changing would never be done by another’s hands, not even by my personal servant girls.

That’s why this was the first time in twenty years of my life that I had such intimate contact with someone else.

The thickly sweet fragrance of thousand-day wine spread out from Lisa's body, and the continuous heat of her body travelled onto mine too.

Even though I had already learned that she was a woman, I still felt somewhat nervous because of this unfamiliar feeling.

I was sitting on the bed, while she sat on her shins in front of me. She slept very soundly with her head on my shoulders, entirely unconscious.

If I just shook my shoulders slightly, I could let her fall over, freeing myself.

But…

When I thought about how she was a woman like me, I could not do such a rude act at all.

There were still some hard items scattered over the bed such as longan and red dates.

This person was entirely unaware in her sleep, it would probably hurt if she fell right on it right?

I turned to look at her smooth forehead. This marriage that had given me a month of sleepless nights ultimately came to a result that I could never have expected…

A woman, huh? That’s fine too.

My marital matters had plunged the family into an unprecedented crisis; I had already made the resolution that I could be fine with anything as long as we could make it past this crisis.

Men, women, so what?

It was outrageous for a woman to matrilocally marry a woman.

If this spreads out, the family would lose its reputation, and this person… might get executed too.

But at this moment, something filled my heart; a sense of peace that was strange to me too.

I clearly knew that this was wrong. It was illegal, and it was even against societal rules. I did feel uneasy, perturbed, and yet, I felt at peace too.

It was a relief like never before, as if I had dodged a calamity.

So what if she was a woman?

Compared to giving myself to a man who I had never met before, to give him my lifetime, hinging my joy, anger and sorrow on his one word, to birth and raise children for him; it would be better to find someone who would not harm me, and fool the world together.

This idea passed in a flash; my heart was submerged in guilt once again.

House Stark needs a son-in-law, and more importantly, a child…

I worked hard to convince myself that I would just get Lisa to block away V's return and the Minister backing him for now.

Once the family had made it through the crisis, I would definitely set her free, return her independence, and gift her financial security for the rest of her life as compensation.

As for myself?

Ever since the moment that I received the great seal of the family from father’s hands, from the moment that I appeared in public; I no longer had a pristine reputation.

Another mark of a deserted wife did not seem to be much of a deal.

At that thought, I relaxed my tense body.