19

LISA

I was sleeping soundly until the sound of knocking startled me awake.

"Who is it?" I asked blearily.

"Young master, this is Jake; I'm here on the Master's order to deliver the proposal gifts to the young master."

I yawned, then sat up.

I peeled the mask off, threw it into my inventory, and then put on my shoes to open the door for Jake.

I was somewhat dazed seeing the crowd outside. "What's all this for so early in the morning?"

Jake bowed, then smiled as he said, "Answering young master Manoban, the wedding is set on the twenty-third day of the next month. I've come to deliver the proposal gifts to young master Manoban."

"Gifts? For me?"

"Yes. May the young master move somewhere else; the bedroom is not a place for this."

"Have we met somewhere before? Why do I feel as if you look somewhat familiar?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Answering young master, I leave the estate often, so perhaps we have seen each other on the streets before."

"Oh."

He waved his hand, then another male servant took a step forward with a live goose in his arms. It had a red silk ball tied to its neck.

"With the swan goose as the first proposal gift, may the young master be unswervingly loyal to the lady once you enter the estate, forever and ever, Jake sang.

I took a moment to react. "Hold on, did you say proposal gifts? The proposal gifts in the six rites of marriage?"

"Yes, young master."

My face felt hot all at once.

In that case, the wedding procedure in this kingdom was pretty much the same as in the ancient era on earth.

I remembered that in the six rites of marriage, the proposal was the first of the six rites. It referred to the male side inviting a matchmaker to the female side to propose a marriage. 

When the female side agrees to the marriage, the male side may prepare gifts to make a formal proposal.

I recalled the auspicious words Jake sang earlier.

It was indeed a wish for me to be 'unswervingly loyal' to young lady Stark, 'forever and ever.

A peculiar feeling rose in my heart.

A majority of girls would look forward to a perfect wedding; even if I had a different orientation, I did look forward to having a perfect wedding with the love of my life one day, when I had the ability to.

However! I was just traveling through time; how did I get 'married' all of a sudden?

And I was even wearing a male mimic skin as I married—no, matrilocally married—a woman.

It felt weird, no matter how I thought about it.

I had a feeling that I would definitely be laughed at once I was back on earth, but this was such a ceremonious occasion. 

If I missed this chance, it'd be gone forever, so I turned on my camera in a professional manner.

"Continue." I indicated to Jake.

The other male servant, backed to the side with the goose in his arms. 

Another two house servants walked up with two brightly colored poultry—a pair of mandarin ducks.