28

Stark Estate

Jennie and Lisa returned to Jennie's courtyard. 

They came to the study, dismissed the servants, then Jennie invited Lisa to sit.

However, Lisa started to look around the place.

"Nini, is this your study?" She asked.

"Mm."

Jennie was not in any rush either. 

She allowed Lisa to look around and touch everything, a show of great upbringing.

"Eh?"

Lisa walked quickly to a small table. 

She pointed to a rectangular striking clock that was arranged on it, then she asked, "You already have this thing here?"

"That's an imported item from overseas, called a striking clock." Jennie gazed at the side of Lisa's face.

She could deduce from Lisa's behavior that she had absolutely seen that item before.  

The striking clock was a rare item in the entire kingdom. There were less than ten of it within its bounds.

Other than the inner court, the estates of the few members of the imperial family, the nobles, and the high ranking officials, the Stark's was the only commoner's residence to have it.

Then... Lisa must have seen this striking clock in a foreign land. 

Even if she wasn't from here, she must be closely related to someone here.

Jennie asked in a seemingly casual way, "Though, the symbols on it are very strange. Do you recognize them?"

It was just some roman numerals, of course Lisa recognized them. 

But at the moment before the words could leave her mouth, Lisa broke into a cold sweat.

She realized a frightening problem: Jennie was setting me up!

Lisa wasn't very sure why Jennie would do that, but she couldn't help but sigh at how clever this woman was. 

She must have noticed something off about her, that's why she was probing her.  

"I don't, and I've never seen this thing before."

Lisa sat down in front of Jennie once she said that, then she asked, "What did you want to tell me?"

Jennie chuckled once. 

She did not believe Lisa, but she did not mention it anymore.

"This is a secret that concerns the family. I have mulled over it for a few days, but I have still decided to tell you about the whole story behind this. After all, we may be married in name, but we are still one body in front of outsiders. It's about time too; a disaster might descend on the family soon. We will have to work in concert to make it through when that time comes. Once that matter is resolved, I will find a chance to return you your freedom."

"Alright. Talk about it then, I will do my best to cooperate and protect that secret."  

"Do you know why the family sought for a matrilocal son-in-law so urgently?" 

"Didn't that great master Diana say that you will encounter your heaven-sent fate on your twentieth birthday?"

The heaven-sent fate probably referred to Jackson, but he didn't seem to want this marriage at all.
Superstitious stuff like that was usually made up, after all. Lisa thought.