42

"Husband?" Jennie called softly again.

Lisa pouted a little, then she answered, "Alright, I've got it, I'll go back right now."

Once she said that, Lisa gave a courtesy towards Eddard, "Father, I'm somewhat tired, I'll bid my leave first."

"Go then."

Lisa turned to leave, but she gave Jennie a resigned look as she walked past her shoulder.

The corners of Jennie's mouth curved up, then it was hidden away at the next instant.

Once Lisa had left, the father and daughter entered the main subject.

Eddard still wasn't quite willing to believe it, "Did you teach him to say those things earlier?"

Jennie shook her head, then she answered, "This daughter has not discussed this matter with husband before. All of the opinions that husband brought up are his own."

Eddard mused for a moment, then he asked, "Who on earth is he? Have you checked his background before? Was he really just a beggar?"

Jennie retrieved her gaze. 

Her mind was as clear as a mirror, since father had said that, he probably had not found any information regarding Lisa.

Father was not the kind of person who would leave Lisa unchecked.

Jennie answered, "Although my husband is a beggar, he couldn't help it. He does not have any kin anymore, and he was still young at the time. He had no choice but to beg for a living on the streets. Actually, through our time together, this daughter feels that her husband is a very smart person. He is also very gifted at calculation. Hasn't father often said this before? Reading ten thousand books does not compare to walking ten thousand miles. I'm certain that he had formed his own realizations in life through the many places that he had gone to and the many things that he had seen. And as for the matter with Victor, this daughter told husband about it a long time ago. Although husband's usual behavior is somewhat straightforward, he is actually a very meticulous thinker. Perhaps the husband had already started to think of ways to solve it from that moment on. Additionally, he is good friends with the third young master Baratheon. They have often met up after the wedding, too; perhaps he learned some things from him and put them into practice."

Eddard considered it for a while. He felt that what Jennie said made sense too.

After all, if Lisa really had some other identity, it was impossible to not find out anything about him with the Stark's level of reach.

"What do you think about this?" Eddard asked Jennie.

"This daughter thinks that husband's plan is already very comprehensive, we simply need to make arrangements according to plan."

"That is not what this father is asking, what I mean is, what is your opinion towards Lisa's performance?"

Jennie mused for a moment, then she answered, "Husband is highly talented. He had just been delayed by his origins in the past. Great success is just a matter of time for him."

Eddard sighed, then he said, "This is not necessarily a good thing for our family!"

Jennie fell silent.

Through Lisa's pointers, Jennie had gained a clearer look at their family's present situation.

She understood her father's worries; the estate was presently extremely wealthy, so much so that even the Minister of Revenue couldn't sit still anymore.

Who knows how many more people were secretly coveting their family business too.

The Stark was only able to maintain this peace largely because they had no successors, and Lisa's identity as a beggar counted as an additional layer of protection for their present peace. However...