7

JENNIE

I had heard everything while I was inside the horse carriage.

Due to my identity as a woman, I had not planned on stepping out at first. But when I heard the words 'a bully's henchmen', I couldn't sit still anymore.

As major merchants, the family took our reputation most seriously. If someone with intentions heard about this, who knows how they would slander the family.

I disregarded my servant's dissuasion; I insisted on stepping out of the carriage to stop Jake. 

My brows knitted slightly.

A trace of anger flashed in my eyes, simply because the beggar a short distance away was much too bold with his gaze; he was actually staring at me directly.

I had taken over the family business for nearly three years, and I had attended more than a few social gatherings.

I had seen plenty of outsiders before, but none of them have ever dared to be so discourteous towards me. Even Sir magistrate treated me with some courtesy.  

I was displeased, but I did not make any reprimands. I simply turned my head away to dodge the beggar's gaze.  

"You stinky freeloader, how shameless can you get! I'll dig your eyes out!" Jake kicked him away.

The beggar staggered from the kick, but he did not fight back this time. He simply crouched down silently to put the broken clay jar together, then he picked up two strings of coins that had dropped on the ground to put it back inside. He wrapped the cracked jar up again to hold it in his arms.

The beggar gave me his apologies with his head lowered, then he turned to leave.  

"Jake, let him go." I commanded when I noticed that he didn't have any plans on letting him escape.

"Yes, my lady." Jake glared at the beggar as he stepped aside. The beggar hurried away with the bundle in his hands.

"My lady is too kind, you should just let Jake and the others give that beggar a good discipline." Deb who was supporting me said indignantly.

I retrieved my gaze, then I said mildly, "Let's go in."

"Understood."

***

Inside the pawn shop

I looked at the empty counter, then I turned to give Jake a look.

The latter shouted, "Is anyone here?"

The store clerk hurried out at once. He made an "Aiyo" once he saw who came, then he walked around the counter to give a bow on one knee.

"This one greets the young lady Stark. The manager is inside, this one will invite him at once." He said with his head lowered.

The pawn shop manager followed the store clerk out to the front hall. He gave his courtesies, then he said respectfully, "Please come into the inner hall, Milady. The accounts are already sorted and ready for you to review."

Jake and Alison followed me to the inner hall. 

The manager showed me to my seat, then he handed the prepared accounts to Jake.