58

LISA

It's been two days, in order to 'dodge' Jennie with good reason, I would hurry to the back courtyard after the morning greeting and breakfast to discuss principles over tea with master Jisoo.

Through our interaction, I found that she wasn't just a profound thinker, she was also very knowledgeable.

Her knowledge went up to astronomy, geography, yin yang and the five elements, and down to medical theory, mathematics, the way of tea. 

She even had some carpeting skill too.

There was a new set of bamboo table and chairs in the courtyard, all made by her.

I knew how to play chess, and chess existed in this world too. 

It also had the same rules. 

I invited her to a game of chess to wile away the time, and the latter agreed with pleasure.

Sandalwood smoke curled up from the incense burner. 

The west wind swept through the bamboo forest, causing the bamboo trees to sway and knock crisply against each other.

My pace slowed down evidently after thirty moves.

"Are you troubled by something?" She asked casually.

Perhaps it was because she kept her lips sealed regarding my true identity; I was a lot more relaxed here.

I smiled when I heard her question, "Is it that obvious?"

"You're a broad-minded, but not to the point of being unable to hide a little wave like this. Most people will not be able to tell. It is simply because the way of chess is a look into one's mind; on the board, you places pieces with frequent hesitation. In life, something must have caused you hesitation between choices too, right?"

I simply decided to toss my black piece back into the chess box.

I sighed, then asked, "Does the cultivator usually get troubles too?"

"Naturally. Although this humble monk has once lived in a temple, that does not mean complete separation from the world."

"How does the cultivator overcome these troubles?"

"In the past, I would seclude myself in the back of the mountain, or walk through the marketplace. By seeing the people as they live, it might give me some revelations. Now... I choose to face it directly, and think of a way to solve it."

"What is the cultivator troubled over right now?"

She gave a slight smile, then she said, "This humble monk entered Taoism since young. From then till now, it has been a long time since I had troubles that vexed me. Thanks to the benefactor's pointers some time ago, this humble monk came to my senses, though it has also become my troubles: this humble monk has no successors to pass on my spiritual technique."

I waved my hand, "You're too kind, that couldn't possibly be described as pointers. But for this matter... I can't provide much help either."

She smiled without comment, then she asked, "So what is troubling you?"

I looked at her as I thought.

In this world, she is probably the only one who can understand me and listen to my problems right now.

But I still wanted to make sure if she was truly my fellow kind, so I asked.

"Cultivator, I'd like to ask, what is the theory behind that 'homosexual dual-cultivation' that you mentioned last time?"