49

"Sir, this one would like to ask young master Manoban and young master Baratheon a few questions." Sir Vincenzo got up to say.

"Permitted." The magistrate said.

"Young master Manoban, the store clerk and manager of the tavern said that you had suddenly struck Joey. Is that true or false?"

"False. I had struck Joey, but that was because he said some foul words that crossed my bottom line. He insulted my family. I had only struck him when I could not tolerate it anymore."

"Oh? What did Joey say?"

I swept a look across the people in the hall; everyone's gazes were focused on me.

I remembered what Joey had said yesterday word for word, but this concerned Jennie's reputation.

I did not want to harm her for the second time.

I answered after a long while of consideration, "Joey said that I was a lowly beggar in the past. I got onto the big tree of the Stark, becoming a golden phoenix by flying to the top of its branch, and he also said that... my wife must be blind to take a shine to someone like me."

Sir Vincenzo thumb paused on the string of beads. 

He suddenly looked at me with admiration in his eyes.

"Young master Baratheon? Young master Baratheon?"

Sir Vincenzo called Jackson multiple times. 

I also turned to him. 

He might be thinking of how can he save himself from this mess.

"Ah! Oh, Sir Vincenzo, this student is here." Jackson returned to his senses when he realized that Sir Vincenzo was calling him.

"May I ask young master Baratheon if you have witnessed the entire process yesterday night?"

"Yes."

"What happened after that?"

"Lisa dragged Joey out of the tavern. The three of us came to an alley, then I stood guard at the alley entrance while Lisa went inside with him. Lisa taught Joey a lesson."

"Was Joey still alive when the two of you left?"

"Yes, and he was yelling very loudly. We could still hear his voice when we walked a distance away."

I'm somewhat surprise hearing those words from Jackson. 

I never thought that he would stand by me in this battle that may cause his title to get ruin.

Thumbing through the beads in his hand, Sir Vincenzo nodded, then he turned to give the magistrate a courtesy with his hands, "Sir, in this one's knowledge, young master Baratheon has a title to his name, hence his testimony should be valid."

"Naturally."

"Since it is so, the first questionable point of this case has surfaced. Since Joey's body was found in the alley, that should be the place where he perished. Based on this one's experiences, there are usually two cases in a lethal beating. A victim would either die on the spot or die the next day due to internal bleeding. Evidently, Joey's death does not suit either cases."  

Joey's mother wiped her tears, then she stopped herself from saying something.

Sitting at the small desk, V noticed it, "Miss Park, do you have something to say?"

Joey's mother did not dare to look directly at the officials, but she still nodded.

The magistrate said, "Miss Park, just say anything you have to say."