54

LISA

"Lis, thank you for today." Jackson was somewhat worked up as he said that.

"Don't forget what we agreed on before this. I may have helped you to redeem her, but it's definitely not so that you can act as you wish. I will give Miss Kristen suitable arrangements. What comes after this depends on your own performance." I said in a hushed voice.

"There is no need for you to instruct, I know this."

"How do you plan to settle Kristen?" Jackson asked.

"I haven't prepared a suitable residence for her yet, so Miss Kristen could stay in an inn for a few days first. I'll pick a good residence tomorrow, hire people to clean it up, and then let her move inside. What do you think?"

Jackson considered for a while, then he answered, "That... might not be too good. The inn is a mix of good and bad people, it might not be safe for her to stay there alone when she is an unmarried lady. It'll be too late for regrets if anything happened. To follow your suggestion, even if we can accompany her in the inn, we still can't stay in the same room. There is still danger once we are sound asleep."

I thought for a moment, then asked, "Do you have any good places in mind?"

"I do know of a few quiet and beautiful residences that are available for rent in the city, but it's already very late. We can't really disturb the owners at this hour. Maybe she could stay in my residence first, I'll let her have the place tonight. We can make the arrangements tomorrow instead."

"That'll have to do."

We escorted Kristen to Jackson's place.

It was already past midnight once Kristen was settled.

However, Jackson dragged me out.

He invited me to have a drink with him.

It's his treat, as he wanted to thank me properly.

I turned on the VCR to check its digital clock.

It was almost five in the morning already.

I hesitated at first but since I already helped Jennie with the accounts, so she had no reason to work overtime.

Jennie was definitely asleep by this hour.

I had not split rooms with her, so I would definitely wake her up if I returned right now.

I might as well see things through; I shouldn't curb Jackson's enthusiasm at this point.

And so, I nodded.

Jackson dragged me towards a restaurant joyfully.

This was the first time that I stayed out for the entire night.

He got drunk in the end, and the sky had brightened too.

I helped him up, then settled him in a nearby inn.

I was already extremely tired after a night of trouble, but I wanted to go back to the estate.

I wanted to chat with Jennie, and to eat breakfast with her.

I hired a horse carriage, then went straight to the estate.

I entered the estate through the back gates.

The servants of the estates were already performing their respective duties; a new day of work had begun.

I smelled myself; there was a strong scent of cosmetics and alcohol.

Jennie definitely wouldn't like it.

And so, I turned to walk towards the bathing pool instead.

Once I reached the door, I instructed a servant girl to retrieve a change of clothes for me, then entered the room.