33

Three days later...

LISA

I went to look for Jackson at his small residence as promised.

There was only one aged house servant accompanying him. 

He opened the door for me, then he led me to the bedroom.

He was even more dispirited than he was three days ago. 

He didn't seem to be very clear-minded either; the scent of wine was all over the room.

His behavior disappointed me greatly, but he was the only person other than the people in the estate who I knew in this world.

I had no other choice.

My bull's temper came up and decided to look for a place to sit down.

Four hours later, he finally woke up.

He sat up. 

He was dazed for a moment once he saw me a short distance away, then he called, "Lisa?"

I got up and smiled a little, then said, "Have you slept well?"

"Why are you here?"

"Have you forgotten? We agreed to meet here today three days ago. I did not wake you up since you seemed to be sleeping very soundly. Are you awake now?"

He slapped his own forehead. 

He revealed a trace of shame on his face, then he said weakly, "My apologies. I've drunk away my days these days, I've actually forgotten my promise. Please forgive this one."

"It's nothing, I know that you haven't been in a great state of mind lately. Are you hungry? Let's go out and eat something."

He gave a bitter laugh, then he answered, "If young master Manoban doesn't mind, this one would be extremely happy to."

Seeing that he was still swaying when he walked, I asked the old house servant to call a horse carriage for us. 

We rode towards the Seven Treasure Restaurant.

Once we entered a private room, I told him, "I'll be treating today. Feel free to order whatever you like to eat, but there's just one thing: you can't drink anymore."

He smiled a little, then he answered, "Alright. As you says."

Once all of the dishes were served.

I opened the chatterbox voluntarily; I asked him why he was so down-hearted.

His answer proved my guesses. 

Half of it was because he was banished from his home, and the other half was because of Kristen.

After I left that day, he told Kristen that he intended to buy back her freedom and take her as his wife, but he had not expected to encounter her absolute rejection.

A trace of bitterness flashed past his face, then he said, "I didn't expect that I would fall to such a point. And now, you're the only person who is still willing to associate with me."

"The land of the tender, the grave of a hero. Other people can't really say anything when it comes to something like relationships. There are some things that you still have to slowly think about on your own."

"You can always say some excellent thought-provoking phrases. Speaking of it, I have always done you wrong. I hope that you wouldn't blame me for forcing you to substitute me in a matrilocal marriage that day."

I sighed quietly; I did not respond.

I knew that I should 'politely' accept that right now, and then continue his line of conversation.