34

LISA

Jennie was an extremely productive woman; she ordered Rose to deliver the list of presents to me just the day after I mentioned it.

"What is this?" I started to get a headache once I looked at the dense rows of characters on the vivid red card.

I hadn't really studied ever since I stopped having lessons after my marriage, so I had already forgotten half of the words I had learned.

Additionally, this list had quite a lot of rarely used words. I couldn't comprehend a single sentence at all.

Understanding dawned on Rose, so she said, "Young master, this is a list of presents that the lady ordered this maid to deliver to you. She said that the you will know once I mention that. Additionally, the presents are already placed at the gate room. When the you leave the estate tomorrow, just call up two house servants to carry them from the gate room."

"Thank you, Rose."

"The young master does not need to be so courteous, this is within this maid's duty. This maid wouldn't dare to seek credit."

"Oh right, what's your lady doing right now?"

"The lady is in her study. This maid will venture to reckon that she should be reading account books right now."

"I see... hmm..Rose."

"This maid is here."

"Let me ask you something, what does your lady usually do every day? Is she... always so busy?"

Rose gave her salutations, then she answered, "This maid shouldn't discuss the lady's daily schedule, but the lady has instructed this maid to say all that this maid knows if the young master ever asks about matters in the estate, so this maid shall venture to say it."

My heart skipped a beat.

"Did your lady really say that?" I pressed on.

"Yes."

"When did she say that? Why didn't I know about it?"

"The lady specially instructed this maid when she handed this maid the list of presents today."

I suddenly visualised that scene.

Jennie handed the list of presents to Rose, then she called her back again to add this sentence.

I could understand her intention for this, more or less.

I was certainly sure that Jennie had probably said that because she had predicted my ideas and my next step.

When I thought about how Jennie occasionally looked at me with resignation in her eyes, and about the acceptance and gentleness that she had treated me with for the past few days, I suddenly felt very at ease.

This sort of feeling wasn't really anything grand; it's like what I felt when I suddenly received my father's call when I was hungry, telling me that my favorite foods are ready to eat at home, so hurry home and eat.

Or perhaps it's like those times where I got on the bus after a long and tiring day just to see that there was a clean and empty spot a short distance away.

I just hadn't felt that sense of ease ever since I came to this world.

Seeing that I am not responding, Rose answered dutifully and explained in detail of what were Jennie's everyday routine since the day she became in charge of the family business.

I sucked in a cold breath once I heard all of that, then I exclaimed, "So all together, doesn't that mean that your lady doesn't have a single free day at all?"