4

House Stark appeared to have limitless glory to the public, but a very awkward problem had appeared in their third generation of wealth.

The master of the family, Eddard Stark had no son.

Eddard was already in his fifties. He had seven concubines, but he had not gained a single son.

He managed to have a legitimate eldest son with his wife at first, but the boy died before he was thirteen.

His wife gave birth to two daughters after that, but neither of them survived.

Eddard had no choice but to take more and more concubines. All of them gave birth to daughters.

Later on, his wife became pregnant again when he was thirty years old. Unexpectedly, she gave birth to a daughter again. That was this legitimate young lady Stark, Jennie.

Twenty years passed in a flash. 

Eddard was now in his fifties; he was not as healthy as he once was. He had already started to shift the authority of the estate onto Jennie's shoulders since the year before.

In the first year, Eddard was the head of the house, while Jennie assisted him.

That was reversed in the second year.

It was now the third year. 

Eddard rarely showed up these days; there was no need to ask for his instructions for all major and trivial matters in the estate. 

Everything was up to the management of Jennie.

Eddard could not be blamed for his poor health; the estate was simply too big of a household with too much business. There was too much work to do.

For each Dark Day, dozens of managers in the city would come and report their profits.

Jennie would wake up at dawn, then she would start to receive the various managers forty five minutes later.

Starting from the reports, she would verify them, count the silver, write it down, then send it into the storage...

Going through this process for dozens of people was enough to take up an entire day.

The North had a total of seven provinces and over forty cities. For every third, sixth and ninth month, over two hundred managers would travel to the estate with account books and silver certificates.

Even if Jennie received thirty people each day, she would still have to work for seven to eight entire days.

Past the ninth month, the managers from the rest of the kingdom would gradually show up starting from the tenth month. They were about three to four times the total managers in the North.

Jennie would start to get busy from the tenth month all the way until the twenty-eighth day of the twelfth month.

During regular times, she still had to participate in various kinds of social activities, bribe the local authorities, and attend various banquets...

In summary, the only days in the year where Jennie could actually have peace and quiet would be the time between the twenty-eighth day of the twelfth month to the lights festival next year. 

That was still less than twenty days.

Eddard was born with a golden spoon in his mouth, and he loved sightseeing the most when he was young. Although he had not received a son as he hoped, he ditched the stall without any hesitation once his only legitimate daughter became an adult.

Early in the year, he took his wife out to travel across the land with the reason that he needed to recuperate, and he would probably return by the end of the year.