41

Lisa still felt dazed from head to toe when she walked down the horse carriage.

As a result, she had not even heard the things that happened along the way.

On the way back to the city, the group encountered a house servant from the estate who came on a fast horse.

The house servant reported that Eddard had ordered him to notify Ruby and Jennie at the mountain to return to the estate at once for an urgent matter.

Seeing that Ruby and the others were already on the way back to the estate, the house servant rode back quickly to report first.  

The mother and daughter had different expressions towards the arrival of the house servant.

Ruby felt that it might be a problem with her husband's health, while an ominous feeling rose in Jennie's heart.

Counting the days... it should be about time now.

Ruby's complexion didn't look very good.

She looked towards her daughter, then she asked, "Jennie, for your father to call us back so urgently, is it because something has happened in the estate? Or is it because a problem has occurred with your father's health?"

Jennie held her mother's hand, then she assured her, "Mother does not need to worry too much, this daughter thinks that mother is overthinking things. Our stay in the temple started a few days later this year than the past years. We would have been back ten days earlier had we gone on schedule. It is already the thirteenth day of the month today, and it'll be the Mid-Autumn festival in two days. Plenty of managers and friends from the commercial circles in other provinces will come and visit, and our relatives will visit with their family too. Father has to bustle around all by himself. He can't be in two places at once, so it is reasonable for him to call us back sooner."  

Hearing that from her daughter, Ruby's expression finally improved a little.

She nodded, then she said, "Mm, what you said makes a lot of sense. That is probably what happened. Though... your dad, he's not feeling very well these days. He was afraid that it'll distract you, that's why he didn't let me tell you all this time. Your father started to have shortness of breath and a stuffy chest from time to time since the year began, and there are often times where he suddenly wakes up in the middle of the night to cough for a while before he can sleep again. Additionally, he had also been agitated by that bastard along with Lord Magistrate and his son. That anger alone kept him coughing for a good few days."

Ruby revealed a worried look as she fidgeted with the handkerchief in her hands, then she said, "Don't tell Lisa about this, alright. He would feel bad inside if he learned about this. He doesn't have parents; he's a pitiful child too. Mom has seen it before, he is just untidy due to a lack of guidance. His natural character isn't bad at all. At that time, dad and mom just didn't understand him. Although your dad doesn't say it, he values you the most. If you were male... Ai, look at me, I'm talking nonsense again. Anyways, once we're back in the estate, mom will praise Lisa well in front of your dad. I believe that it won't take very long before your dad accepts him completely, and maybe his health would become fully well again by then."

"This daughter understands. Actually, husband is..." Jennie wanted to say that Lisa's skill in mental calculation is unparalleled in all of kingdom; with the Stark's supporting her, she should be able to show her true abilities before long.

But on second thought, Jennie felt that it was unsuitable to say that.

Lisa's identity was a secret after all. 

If her words roused Ruby's interest, causing her to pay more attention towards Lisa instead, her attempt to help would backfire instead.

"What?"