21

LISA

The shougongsha…

The mark of chastity for the women of this kingdom.

I had seen such a scene in a television drama before.

I was just an adolescent back then.

That scene successfully made me feel uncomfortable, but I was too young to understand why at the time.

As I gradually matured, once I gained a certain level of comprehension towards ancient literature, I finally understood.

Shougongsha was one of the deepest ways that feudalism persecuted women; it was a method thought up by men to further ‘objectify’ women.

I felt really heavy inside as I looked at the vermillion red dot on Jennie's arm.

Even a woman like her could not escape such a fate.

Looking at the shougongsha, I finally understood it personally.

Just how much a pristine reputation meant for women in this era…  

I really hate Jin to death; no matter what his reasons were, I couldn’t forgive him for making me his scapegoat.

If he didn’t want to marry, he should have done his best to argue for himself, to resist as much as he could, to shoulder the responsibility that a man was supposed to have.

He shouldn’t have pushed an innocent life to irrecoverable doom for the sake of his own interests.

Waves of belated fear filled my heart; the image of Jennie ending herself out of shame flashed in my mind.

I was utterly relieved that I hadn’t persisted in rejecting back then, and that I had not escaped from the Stark's woodshed.

Otherwise, would I be any different from Jin?

Could she accept my identity as a woman?

I couldn’t help but worry.

“Bridegroom?” The wedding auntie called when I remained standing in a daze.

The so-called ‘examination’ was not done with just a brief look like what I had done, but to touch it, and even to wipe it with water to make sure that the shougongsha was not painted on.

I let out a breath, then I said, “I’ve seen it, you can put it down now.”

“Understood.”

Jennie still did not raise her head or her gaze, but I saw how her other hand that was placed on her lap quietly relaxed.

Knocks sounded at the door, then Jake's voice travelled in, “My lady, Master Stark invites the young master Manoban to host guests at the front hall.”

“I’ve got it, just a moment.” I heard Jennie responded so my eyes quickly shifted to her.

When our eyes met, it made my lips fluttered, as I called quietly, “You…”

“Father has called you to the main hall to thank the guests. Go on then, refrain from slighting them.” she interrupted my words mildly.

“Oh… sure.” I was somewhat reluctant to, but I did not reject it.

I turned to walk towards the door.

I pressed my hand on the door frame, then I turned my head back, “I’ll be right back, so uh… don’t go to sleep yet, I have something to tell you.”

Her face flushed red all at once.

After a brief moment of silence, the wedding auntie laughed behind her hand as she waved her vibrant red little handkerchief.