67

LISA

My heart jumped when I heard the Royal Princess mentioned my name.

What a keen eye she has.

I mentally scolded myself for being too lost in thought to keep my expression in control.

I had always carried the folding fan Jennie gave me wherever I went, and it was presently lying quietly in my clothes, but it was not the right time and place to take it out right now.

I had already decided not to try giving the Precious princess hypnosis therapy even if it was a heaven-sent chance to help the Stark.

Just because I had done research before didn't mean that I was qualified to do it, and it was as cultivator Yuna said, the soul is a mystery.

The slightest mistake could lead to irreparable damage; I wouldn't dare to take that risk.

I got up, then put my hands together and bowed towards the Princess, "Answering your Highness, this commoner was just astonished by such a miraculous technique, may your Highness forgive this loss of composure."

She looked at me for a moment, then she turned to the Precious princess and said, "The syrup should be ready soon, didn't you want to eat candied haw? Go then."

"Alright!" 

The Precious princess walked quickly up to me, then she pulled me out by the arm, "Let's go, the syrup is ready."

"Please excuse this commoner." I said apologetically to the Royal Princess.

She nodded without responding.

I knew that she was just indirectly dismissing me.

Perhaps I was not fit to hear the rest of her conversation with master Jisoo, or maybe it was already an immense grace to be in her presence for so long.

I sighed quietly.

I still haven't done anything yet, or even said anything useful, yet I'm already sent away.

I cast my gaze on the Precious princess.

Sorry, little princess. 

I know it's somewhat low for me to do this, but this does no harm to you at all, and a few words from you might even bring about the safety of a few hundred lives in the Stark.

"How old are you this year?" I asked.

She thought for a moment, "I'm seventeen this year."

"Oh, I'll be twenty-six after the new year."

She looked at me a few times, then she called, "Big brother."

I stumbled a little, then heard her say, "My name is Daphne Bridgerton, big brother can call me little Daphne."

"Princess... this, this absolutely wouldn't do."

"Dad often said that courtesy is shown through reciprocation. Big brother can be a guest in the estate, so you're not what mommy means by a bad person. I know your name, so I should tell you mine too. You're older than me, so why shouldn't I call you big brother?"

"That... may be so, but we are still on different levels. I truly wouldn't dare to have you address me as big brother."

"You wouldn't dare? Why not?"

She looked at me with a knowing look in her innocent eyes, yet she seemed determined to dig to the very bottom of this question.

I faltered for a while, until she couldn't keep her laughter in anymore, "Are you afraid that mom would hear it and blame it on you?"