50

The post-mortem examiner carried out an autopsy on Joey.

Once he had eliminated the possibility of death by excessive drinking and death by poisoning, he had to check all of his bones next.

The post-mortem examiner brought out a bottle of powder, then he carefully scattered pinches of it over Joey's body.

Changes started to appear about an hour later...

Under the powder's effect, large bruises appeared on Joey's neck.

The post-mortem examiner pressed around Joey's neck carefully, then he found that the true cause of his death was someone snapping his neck at an extreme speed!

The post-mortem examiner went to report to Robert right away.  

Robert was presently looking through the testimonies.

"Report!"

"Speak."

"Reporting, Joey's cause of death has been found. Someone had killed him by snapping his neck very quickly with a skilful technique!"

"Oh? Can you determine what kind of person this culprit is?"

"This lower official reckons that the culprit should be a man of shocking strength, and he is a professional killer. Usually speaking, fatally snapping someone's neck would leave some bruises around the deceased's neck area, but Joey had no visible bruises on his neck in the beginning. That is also why this lowly one overlooked that cause of death. The bruises on his neck had only appeared once the bruise-revealing powder was applied. This lowly one has already felt the bones of Joey's neck; there is no mistake. It is truly unimaginably strange for such a situation to appear. This lowly one ventures to reckon that the culprit had used a very skillful technique to snap Joey's neck instantly and then return it to its usual position very quickly. Otherwise, this lowly one truly can't figure out what else could have caused the lack of bruises on Joey's neck."

"Oh? There is such a technique?"

The post-mortem examiner mused for a long while, then he answered, "In this lowly one's opinion, the person who killed Joey must be a specially-trained killer."

Robert said doubtfully, "Isn't it too arbitrary to determine that the culprit is a specially-trained killer with just that bit of information? Physicians and post-mortem examiners are applicable too."

Robert was unwilling to admit that Joey's murderer could be a professional killer for two reasons.

One was that if he was a professional killer, he had evidently done it to frame Lisa.

The Stark would definitely pursue it to the very end, but Winterfell was so big; how could it be easy to find a culprit that had no witnesses at all?

Once the killer was left at large for too long, it would be hard to explain to the Stark.

The second reason was out of his own considerations.

If Joey was just killed by an ordinary person, no matter how long the culprit remains at large, it would not really influence Robert's future as an official. 

But if a professional killer appeared in the city... that would be another discussion entirely.

It would not just rouse panic among the common folks once it spreads out; he would also catch the attention of his higher ups.

By then, an official of higher rank would definitely step in, ordering him to track down the culprit within a time limit.

Catching the culprit would not give him any credit, and he would get a mark on his record if he failed.