56

LISA

"You're still awake?" I asked.

"Mm. How is your progress?"

"Here, take this." I handed Jennie six contracts, including Kristen's contract, "These are their contracts, keep it well."

Jennie read the names on it, then she asked, "Why choose them in particular?"

I sat down in front of her, then answered, "Five courtesans and one servant girl with a plain appearance. Those five share one common trait; they don't have any family anymore. They had either entered the brothel willingly in order to give their parents a funeral, or they were abducted by human middlemen and sold to the brothel. They are comparatively safer because they won't be influenced by kinship in the future." 

"Then why did you choose a servant girl? Is this person remarkable in some way?"

"Actually, I didn't want women who are too pretty in the first place. They would be too conspicuous and attract other people's attention easily, but... time is short, I can't be too picky. Those five courtesans are literate at least, and they have come in touch with many high officials and noble lords, so they do have a wider scope. As for why I chose her..." I explained.

I pointed at the servant girl's contract, "She is actually a lady from a family in strained circumstances. She has studied before, and she has good handwriting. In terms of capability, she is not necessarily less skilled than the courtesans. She just wasn't born with good looks, that's why she became a servant girl. And besides... she is the tallest among them. She has broader shoulders, and masculine eyes. They will have to do a lot of things in the future, so it's always better to have a 'man' to keep up appearances, that's why..."

Jennie realized that I was trying to reuse an old trick by finding another crossdresser.

I drank some water, then asked, "Now you then, you haven't even taken off your outer clothing so late at night, so you definitely have something important to tell me. What is it?"

Jennie thought for a moment before she answered, "Victor came this afternoon."

"Again? What did he do?"

"Nothing more than to find out the truth for himself after hearing some rumours in the streets."

I revealed a look of disdain, "He's probably trying to court you, isn't he? Did he trouble you while I wasn't home?"

Jennie shook her head, "Of course I won't see him without you here; I put it off by claiming to be ill. He ordered someone to deliver his message: he has brought some high quality medical ingredients from the capital city, and he will send someone to deliver them to me tomorrow. It was father who hosted him, and he chatted with my father for a while. He said that..."

I sat up straighter, then I asked somewhat nervously, "What did your dad say?"

"Father said that although he does not know your plan, he will not pursue it since I've already approved it. But this matter has gotten so big that it's probably spread throughout the city now. The estate is not a metal pail either; there can't be no reaction at all, so..."

"So..?"

Jennie looked at me as she continued, "We may have to sleep in separate rooms for a period of time; we have to give others something to see, at least. You have also redeemed a few more people tonight, so I can't have no reaction at all. Even if I can tolerate it, my parents can't brush it aside either. Before this, I was also thinking of how we could create some conflict between us for others to see. I think this is fine too. What do you think?"

I felt a sense of loss for no reason, but I still nodded, "That's fine. That'll do."

"Then... The wing-room is already cleaned up for you. You can move in there tonight."