Chapter 14-Perfect timing and perfect pawns

A week had come and gone since your last game just like grains of sand falling right through your fingertips, leaving three days left on your visa and 1 day for Chishiya, meaning that he had to play a game that night.

The two of you were at your usual meet-up place, except that there was a certain feeling in your heart that told you something misfortunate was about to happen. You always trusted your gut, which was almost never wrong. 

Pulling out your small notebook in which you kept track of everything—the date, the time, the day of the week, a small summary of what happened, everything you needed to take note of, or any reminders. 

"It's Friday the 13th. How unfortunate," You remarked, jotting down in your notebook with a bright pink ballpoint pen. It was always your signature pen that you loved to write with, as every time someone, including Chishiya, received a letter and saw the iconic cursive pink handwriting, they would immediately know at first glance who it was from. 

"Especially since today's the day I'm playing a game. Wish me luck," Chishiya watched as you wrote notes in your white notebook, before closing it and hugging it towards your chest. You frowned, your muscles on your fast contracting. Your face was taut, and you knew that something was definitely amiss. 

Sensing your stiffness, Chishiya acted cool with it, but remained alert, as if expecting you to spit out some bad news to him. With two cups of coffee, the two of you made sure to keep each other awake for as long as your game lasted. 

Clinking your cups together, the both of you drank bottoms up, feeling the adrenaline course through your veins. Refreshing. 

The both of you had pulled off a few all-nighters by then, be it either due to insomnia or working for the beach behind the scenes, and you were dying just to get a wink of sleep. However, you had to put your priorities first, which was to pull up your ranking and get others, including Hatter to feed you with more information.

Tatta ran towards you two while you were talking about your strategies at the rooftop. "Holy shit! I've been looking for you two everywhere! You have been called to the executive's room! We have new members and they claim to know Kayami, so you need to be a witness! Follow me now!"

Flipping your hair back, you and Chishiya followed Tatta's lead with your coffee cups still in hand. Once you had finished drinking it, you tossed it away into the trash bin.  

Either an old gang member, or one of your friends, or maybe could it have been...

After a minute of running through the gigantic hotel, you reached the grand executive's room. Swinging open the door, you saw Arisu and the climber from the five of spades game.

"Good morning, Arisu." You greeted him by waving at him friendlily

"Kayami, Arisu here claims to know you. Have you told him anything about the beach?" Hatter interrogated you.

"To be honest, he has asked about our blue wristbands with our rankings on it. He knows that we're a community. Thus, he wanted to find out more about it by spying on you guys. Sadly, he's not very good at keeping himself hidden. He doesn't entirely trust you, so he's being wary of you. He's played in the 2 of clubs and 5 of spades with me most recently," You truthfully answered.

Arisu seemed pretty worried and confused at first, but once he had your sole presence and reassurance, he calmed down and had a firm look in his eyes. "Thank you, Kayami-san," Arisu thanked you. Nodding your head, you crossed your arms with pride. 

"But, Arisu, where's Karube and Chota?" You questioned, flipping your head around for them. Noticing the grim look on the letter's face and the other woman frowning, you gasped. "Arisu, don't tell me they—"