(Survivor arc) Chapter 44-familiar faces

You slowly start to gain back your consciousness, your eyelids heavy and reluctant to part. The sterile scent of the hospital room you were in filled your nose and you took your first groggy breaths. Your vision was blurred, and the ceiling tiles above you appeared hazy and unfamiliar. 

As your senses began to return, you noticed the soft hum of medical equipment nearby. The rhythmic beeping of machines gradually registers in your ears, accompanied by the distant chatter of nurses and doctors. 

With a mixture of confusion and dread, you tried to move, but your body felt heavy, almost as if it had been asleep for an eternity and had just started to learn how to move. All that came out was a fatigued groan, as you squeezed your muscles taut.

"Sh-She's awake! Miss Kayami is awake! We need the professionals to come in," A nurse, seated next to your bed, was startled by the sudden break of the silence as she was preparing to inject medicine into your body. With swift steps, she glided out of the room, calling for any doctor who was vacant. 

The entire hospital, with nurses and doctors rushing all over the place, was boisterous. 

Panic set in briefly until you became aware of something extraordinary—the warmth of another hand intertwined with yours. 

Turning your head slowly, you were met with a sight that left you breathless. There, sitting by your bedside, was a young man around the same age as you, with striking platinum silver hair that seemed to shimmer even in the sterile hospital lighting. His features were chiseled and handsome, and his eyes, the colour of a dark chocolate brown, were fixed on you with a mixture of relief and concern.

Hand in hand, you and that mysterious boy shared a moment of silent connection. His grip was reassuring, grounding you in this bewildering reality. You could not help but wonder how he ended up there with you. 

All of a sudden, the memories started to trickle in—you and your brother fighting for your life in an unforeseen circumstance, you meeting death right before your eyes, and...a person you failed to remember.

Coming back to your senses, you let go of his hand and sat up awkwardly. You curled your hair behind your ear and looked down, noticing that you were wearing quite little clothing, which only consisted of a hospital gown that fitted you comfortably.

He let out a ghost of a smile, as if sensing the flood of questions in your mind. His voice, when he finally spoke, was a soothing balm to your confusion. (Nijiro Murakami's voice is so attractive not going to lie...)

"You're awake," he said, his voice a gentle melody. "We were both lucky to make it out alive. The nurses say that what we've both been through is a miracle."

"I-I'm sorry for...holding your... hand..." you apologized, scratching your nape. 

He shrugged his shoulders. "When I woke up before you, you kept gripping my hand whenever I tried to let go, so I thought I'd wait for you to wake up. You look like you've woken up from a really bad dream, because you were crying."

Wiping your cheek, you could feel tears being there. 

Taking a closer look at him, you tilted your head to the side, recognizing him, but vaguely. "Have we met before? You look oddly familiar," you lifted an eyebrow. 

"I only remember you bumping into me in the street...but you are very familiar. Maybe...it was last year...or it could be that you were one of my patients," he was deep in thought, agreeing with your statement. 

"Quite ironic that you're a doctor in a hospital, huh," you joked, giggling. He chuckled along, crossing his arms. 

Feeling a profound connection with that complete stranger, it was as if the meteor's impact had somehow brought the two of you together in that moment of shared vulnerability.