Chapter 25-Watch your footing

You opened the black door in front of you, a sign in the center of it read, "Stage 2". Inside the room was a large and wide square-shaped arena that was as big as a soccer field. The stage was divided into hundreds of square tiles that were white color and were about 20x20cm. The big screen read, "Please wait at the side for the rest of the teams to complete stage 1." 

You walked around curiously, peering around the area to analyze it and try to figure out what the next stage could be. You touched one of the tiles to see if it could trigger something. It turned red, and you quickly pulled your hand away as a laser shot down in the center of it. "Woah!" You gasped, bending down and continuing to touch other tiles to see if anything different would happen.

"The next game could possibly trap all the players in the arena. Everytime they step on a tile, a laser would zap them if they did not move to a different tile in about 1 second later. But, we could just hop around 4 tiles continuously to survive," you thought to yourself silently. Meanwhile, the four guys were watching you silently from the sides as you made your discovery.

You contemplated about it for a while, before you reached out for a hairpin from your pocket. "I guess I could waste one for this game's sake," you thought to yourself. Rotating your arm in circles, you rolled your hairpin onto the floor with force like the way you would release a bowling ball onto a lane. Triggering a whole pathway of tiles,  you noticed that only physical touch of objects caused it to send a laser shooting down.

Next, the second group came into the room. You leaned against the wall and looked towards the ground, making it clear that you did not want anybody interacting with you. A woman approached the tiles, touching one with curiosity. Suddenly, a laser shot down through her arm, making her shriek in pain, clutching her wrist. You tried your best to hold in your laughter, snorting away.

After the third group walked into the room after having completing the first stage, the woman went to them and warned them not to touch the tiles as the laser would zap them if they did so. "Really? She had the chance to keep quiet and hopefully kill someone but she chose to warn them?" You mumbled, Yaba and Banda turning to you. 

"That's the thing about the human heart. They have so much dopamine to care for mere strangers. Say, Kayami-san, do you have anybody whom you love in here?" Banda questioned you. 

"Yeah... an intelligent guy in a white hoodie and has platinum blond shoulder length hair. Have you met him in a diamonds or hearts game? He specializes in them," you answered. Yaba spoke up, "Do you mean Chishiya? Banda and I encountered him in the Jack of hearts game. Although he's quiet, he silently dominates the game by himself. You got separated from him?"

"Yeah! That's him! Did you see him with a 5-foot tall kid who has light brown hair by any chance?" A beam of hope glimmered in your eyes. Banda shook his head, much to your disappointment. "I'm guessing he's your younger brother. No." He replied.

With that, the tenth team entered the room. Shigure stepped onto a platform above all the players, landing on the other end of the room. "Congratulations to all players who have passed stage one! Welcome to stage two! I'm guessing that pinky here has probably guessed what the game is," he flirted with you with a smug look on his face.

"Stage 2: Tile steps. 

Rule: every time you touch a tile, a laser will zap you if you do not step away from it within 1 second. The game is completed when 10 of you have been eliminated." The female voice announced. So this was a solo game, rather, it was a game where the weak had to opportunity to outdo the strong. This game required speed, reflexes and flexibility.

"Game start."

Everybody crowded onto the tiles. You quickly ran towards the other end of the room, picking up your hairpin. You then jogged on the spot among four tiles. However, you saw multiple people running after you. "Get after her! Now's our chance to overthrow her!" One of them shouted, dashing in your direction.