Chapter 55-A pound of flesh

Round seven. Feeling rather greedy for the win, you purposely missed. 

Yui's turn. Obviously, he would earn a point for himself, would he not? 

Your jaw dropped in utter shock when you saw that he had missed another time. However, there was a way that he could win: By chance. Pure chance. Could he had possibly be leaving his life on a spinning wheel of fortune?

For the remaining three rounds, your mind went blank while other people were beginning to hungrily earn points, while the other players who had already earned their share of points were skipping rounds so as to sabotage the players who were left with no points at all. 

"All ten rounds have ended. Since there are four people who have zero points, the person who will survive will be randomized. The other three players will be eliminated," the lady announced. 

All the player's heads jerked upwards as they saw a lucky wheel of fortune, coloured red and yellow. There were four players on the board, including Yui. Was he crazy? There was a 25% chance of surviving one out of five rounds, and yet he was brave enough to take the risk. Despite the other three players quivering with sheer terror, Yui remained calm as he waited for the wheel to come to a stop. 

Just as it landed on another player, you saw Kazuya and his optimistic team shout for their boss, Yui. 

"Boss!" Kazuya stuck a concerned hand out, worrying about his dear leader more than he actually was. 

"Wait." You stopped Kazuya, holding onto his arm. "Look."

The arrow on the wheel barely made one last revolution and landed on...Yui. 

Although the other members of the Mansion of Monsters were very elated by Yui avoiding death by a close shave, Yui seemed unbothered. Rather, you noticed that he looked...mad. 

The other three players shrieked in horror, falling onto their knees and begging for mercy futilely. You watched them, feeling as if they were begging you to spare their lives just that once. You had an ounce of guilt inside of you, but you treated it like a game. 

Everybody had a chance. A fair, equal chance. They were simply unlucky. With every winner in a game, comes a loser. Just like the sun setting everyday, all people's lives just had to come to its natural set. However, in these games, you get to decide how long you get to live. 

Normally, you would have shed tears for them, buried them, and wished them happiness in the afterlife. But, now that you were a game master, they were your subjects, yet your enemies at the same time. You were against them, and they were playing your games. 

You silently clasped your hands together, before closing your eyes and bowing your head. "May they rest in peace." They might have been your opponents, but you still had to be respectful towards them and politely wish them luck in their next life. 

The people watched as a door behind them, right at the corner of the colorful room, open. A sign brightly lit with LED lights pointed at its direction, reading: THE FUN IS ONLY JUST BEGINNING! Everybody reluctantly trotted towards the next location for the next round to begin. 

Leaving the rotting bodies in the previous round's location, you noticed that sixteen people remained after a hellish first round, approximately three others were injured. You quickly shuffled next to Yui, before striking a conversation with him. 

"Enjoy the anticipation of leaving your life solely based on chance? Doesn't it excite you when you watch others anxiously waiting for their life to be decided by a silly game?" You asked him. He gave you a side-eye, before he responded, "These are just games. Like life. You never know when it's game over for you. Just enjoy it and play it according to the rules, or not."