Chapter 19.

I glanced at Channing, who was standing outside my desk, blearily at me. He had his cell phone in hand, ready to take it out of his pocket. I glanced blearily at him, who was standing there, and told him that his mother wanted him to wake up. A sudden alertness struck me. I straightened up and cleared my throat. "Why didn't she call me first?" He quickly muted his phone. "She knows I'll not answer." "Is she back?" I hesitated. Had she already found out I had changed the locks? I was grudgingly picking up the phone from Channing and unmuting it. "Yes, Mother?" I asked, "Were you sleeping?" "No," I replied.

Had the security cameras turned off, and she already had found out I had changed the locks? We were not sleeping. There was a lot of paperwork piled up on my desk: plans for new offices, ideas for new promotions, severance plans for one employee who had been fired in California, and a request for an updated OSHA certification, as well as a payroll incident our accountant wanted me to investigate. Despite all those papers, I am still not sure what else I missed out on. "Have you heard anything about California? Did you hear about the earthquake or the employee getting fired?" I cut her off as a headache struck. I glared at Channing as he held up his arms defensively, "they had the lowest KPI of all our hotels." I did not answer my mother's phone calls because of this reason.

Despite the fact that they are harming our company, your feeling of sympathy toward them is evident. It is probably the case that they are stressing out-" "I will handle it then." "I don't think we need to inform them. " "Fine. I'll deal with it myself." I curled my free hand into a fist. "Okay, I'll deal with this myself. That's all? I have work to do." "That wasn't the reason I called you." "Michelangelo's is your favorite restaurant?"Her question was meaningless. She didn't know everything about me, but she said, "Get there at eight o'clock sharp tomorrow. Dress nice." "Why?" I asked. When I replied, I trembled. The daughter of Cecil Castrilli wants to meet you, so I've set you up for a date to meet her. You should not ruin it."

It would not be a mistake for me to meet with an old, balding company head. If it were another time, I would swear to God- "I set up a date with you for her." "A date?" I asked. "I don't have a girlfriend." As I tried to resist throwing my phone across the room, my phone flung from hand to hand across the room. I don't think you do. You are dating someone that I do not like. "That's not " I'm fine with Sierra's daughter." I do not want her setting me up on a date with her." You're going to be at my house at eight in the morning. I don't want her to set me up with anyone. I am going to treat her well and ask for a second date." I didn't say I wasn't allowed to suggest anyone." "What's wrong with Ella?"

The mother snapped on my phone. The only thing I'm asking you to do is to go out with her." "What attitude?" I'm pretty sure you insisted on calling her something nasty back when you first met her." My reply to him was, "There is no need to marry her. You may continue dating your other girl, but I will ultimately decide who is the most suitable candidate for our company." I fell silent for a moment. Although I was aware that she did not ask me to do anything more than continue dating your other girl, it was my responsibility to decide who would be the best fit for the company, even though I knew that she did not ask me to do anything more than continue dating her. There is no doubt in my mind that she was not trying to get me to go on another date with another girl because she already knew Ella and it did not matter to her if I dated anyone else.

It was even possible that I didn't care about Ella. The faking still felt weird to me. I was going to argue back, but I bit my tongue. "Mother," I started, but she spoke over me. "Do you want to become the CEO of our company or not?" Things like this are sometimes needed." Despite wanting to argue back, I bit my tongue. My mother knew how to end arguments. I had to become the CEO. No matter if it meant going on an unwelcome date. "Luke, are you listening?" She sounded impatient. "Luke , are you listening?" she said. I pulled the phone away and hit the end button, giving Channing a deadly look. "Yes, I hear you. I'll be there." "Very well. I'll see Sierra." I pulled the phone away and hit the end button, giving Channing a deadly look. His face turned white, as he carefully reached for his phone. "If that's all......" I told him, "Go home early." I didn't even try to think it was funny. "No. I'm leaving too." "But..."