Chapter 44.

While Luke and I were on our way to work that morning, Donna inquired about the state of affairs in the Lanley realm and whether or not everything was going well. Luke inquired further, "So you're saying everything is alright now in the Lanley universe?" "You guys are definitely more drama-oriented than what a television show would portray," he said in response. When Luke held my hand for a longer period of time, I became more aware of the fact that our connection was far more dramatic than anything that could ever be shown on television. "Getting paid for what I do is my goal in life, but I do not intend to do that," he added in addition to saying, "I do not understand why Strangers to Lovers has been named that." She looked at me with disapproval. He suggested that we do a show for Lifetime about your relationship and how the two of you first became acquainted.

The title of the book, Strangers to Lovers, makes perfect sense to me. Strangers to Lovers is a name that I have never been able to comprehend how it came to be termed. To my mind, it was very evident that she had absolutely no interest in you at all. When I looked out the window, I was a bit surprised by what I saw. As the thunder bellowed in the sky above me, I peeked out the window. It started to rain, despite the fact that the weather app had said that it wouldn't, so I responded, "Okay." I glanced out the window and said, "I'll admit, the title was tacky anyway." Luke observed, "I need to work now." She pressed her lips together, and he did the same thing while stepping behind the counter. My father had insisted that I place an order for an espresso along with a large cup of steaming coffee. I clenched my teeth. "I need coffee."

The fact that Luke was telling a lousy joke was something that I realized in a span of five seconds. Despite the fact that I don't think it's so terrible, I had never previously considered the possibility. I apologized when I realized that my joke was insensitive. He smiled and remarked, "I'm dealing with my mother today." I was surprised by his response. It was a depressing set of words. Despite the fact that it was a horrific experience, my encounter with Mrs. Connor revealed that she just had one side. Due to the fact that Levi was with me, I was curious as to whether or not she has any other sides as well. From my point of view, Mrs. Connor can only be seen from one side, and I was curious about the other sides she had. The fact of the matter is that her only boys do not want her to be around for a number of reasons; Luke asserts that he feels forced to obey every word that his mother says because of his mother's sides.

Due to the fact that I did not spend a lot of time with my parents, the concept of family did not make sense to me in the same way that it did to other people. It is likely that I was unconscious of anything that was going on in my life. The thing was, I simply couldn't get it. As soon as I uttered "Ella," he smoothed out the creases on my face. "Don't worry, I'll be fine," he replied. "I'll be fine." The coffee that she was drinking appeared between us and asked, "Well, I was wondering how you were going to tell me not to use your lines in my book because they are so cheesy." She responded, "I know, I know, but I still feel the need to protect you from your mother." I tried not to smile because I couldn't think of anyone else who could have said such a thing. Should you fail to comply, I will file a lawsuit for defamation.

Luke blinked at the thought, staring at Donna for a moment before turning to face me and saying, "Channing will pick you up later." He looked at Donna for a few seconds before turning back to face me, saying, "Okay, I'm expecting to be swamped today." He rocked on his feet and kissed my forehead, not waiting for me to return the favor. As soon as I saw him leaving, I went to Donna, who was typing rapidly, and said, "What's up?" He left without waiting for me to finish my sentence. "I love you. I walked under the counter and took my apron from the hook. Are you going to wear it today?" he said. "It's been a while." My phone was in the pocket of her top when she responded, "Nothing." I started to wash down the counters as she described the events that had occurred over the course of the preceding few days. "I hope you have a good day," she said as she gave my phone to me.