chapter 286

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

Earlier that day, before Jeremy came to the prison center, Bruno came by his office.

He said he had something important he wanted to discuss and hoped they could talk.

"So, what's this about?" Jeremy asked, looking at his laptop.

"It's about Elsa."

"What about her?" Jeremy inquired.

"Jeremy, I think you should put a stop to this."

"Stop what?" Jeremy questioned.

"This entire case. Get Elsa out of jail. You have that kind of power. Don't let your wife spend another night in there."

"First of all, her name is not Elsa, it's Gwen. And someone changed her data to become Elsa."

"No, she didn't. Someone changed her data."

"Heh! She is fooling you, Bruno. You are the one who kept telling me how manipulative that woman is and I shouldn't fall for her trap. And now here you are, falling for her trap yourself."

Bruno didn't think so but he chose not to argue. "But that doesn't mean she deserves to stay in jail."

"I'm not interested in helping her. She made her bed, let her lie in it," Jeremy said determinedly.

Bruno stared at him in disbelief. After five minutes of silence, Bruno spoke. "Okay. How about you do it for your own image? The wife of Jeremy Callahan cannot be a convicted criminal."

"Why do you defend her so much these days?" Jeremy asked looking with interest.

"Because that girl has suffered enough. Whatever it is you are punishing her for, aren't you doing it now?"

"Bruno—"

"Think about your child then," Bruno persisted.

He knew there had to be something Jeremy cared about that was attached to Elsa.

He expected the child to be it, only for Jeremy to scoff in amusement. "What child? The only child I have is the one Victoria is carrying."

Bruno was surprised at Jeremy's cold words. "So you won't help her?"

"I won't. And you know something, you are right. The wife of someone like me shouldn't be a convicted criminal."

****

Elsa and Lui had been talking for about 30 minutes, and it was almost time for Lui to leave.

"He doesn't deserve a woman like you," Lui said while holding Elsa's hand.

"What kind of man hits a pregnant woman? Elsa, a man like that deserves to be prosecuted. Don't ever go easy on him when you get your chance."

He then gently kissed the top of Elsa's hand. "I'll see you tomorrow," he bid her goodbye.

Elsa was about to leave and go back to her cell when she was told to stay. She had another visitor.

Lui and Jeremy gave each other an intense glare. Lui was about to walk past him when Jeremy put his hand on his chest and stopped him.

"What are you doing here?" Lui eyed Jeremy's hand, then looked back at him and narrowed his eyes.

"I'm going to need you to get the hell out of my personal space and get your hand away from me," he returned Jeremy's hostility.

"Not until you tell me what you were doing there with Gwen."

"That's none of your business. Now get the hell out of my face."

Seeing that they were attracting attention to themselves, and in a place filled with police officers, Jeremy let Lui go.

Jeremy had come there with the divorce papers, fully ready to divorce Elsa. But at that moment, he felt hesitant.

So instead of going in himself and possibly not following through with it, he gave the papers to be given to Elsa to sign, with his part already signed.

When Elsa read it, she was taken aback to see that they were divorce papers. He agreed to divorce her?

Jeremy had bribed the guard a good amount, so he gave Elsa a radio to talk to him with. The officer stood close by and made sure no one saw Elsa with the radio.

"Sign them!" Jeremy's voice came from the radio.

Elsa looked around, but she couldn't spot Jeremy anywhere. "You want to divorce me now?" Elsa asked with a chuckle.

She wanted to thank the heavens for Jeremy forgetting how he said he would never divorce her.

"I never even wanted to marry you in the first place," Jeremy answered coldly.

"Why didn't you give me these papers yourself, Mr. Callahan?" Elsa asked with interest.

Jeremy didn't want to answer that, so he didn't. "I told you, you will rot in here and not be let out. My wife cannot be a criminal or an ex-convict. So sign the papers."

Elsa could hear anger in his voice, but she still wanted to understand what was going on. "Why did you change your mind?"

"I only married you to save my reputation. Staying married to someone like you will just ruin my reputation, and I will not stand for it. I don't want you anymore, so sign the papers."

Reputation, of course. Elsa would have refused to divorce him just to ruin his reputation, but that was not how she wanted to seek revenge. Elsa didn't want to stay married to him either, and since he was proposing the divorce now, she could finally escape this marriage. She took the pen and signed her name immediately. She gave the officers back his papers before getting up from the chair and walking away. The officer brought them to Jeremy.

Jeremy looked at the divorce papers in his hands. This was it, he was ending his marriage.

He just needed to take them to the registration office.

He would divorce Elsa, then marry Victoria, just like he promised and just like he was supposed to from the beginning.

But then, why did seeing Elsa's signature on the papers give him a weird feeling in his stomach?

*****

When I wrote this as rough work, this chapter was very different. It had a lot of pain, tears and blood.  The signing of the divorce was suppose to be something very painful, physically... I wanted it to be very dramatic. But I had promised myself to give Elsa a break, so I changed it. Sorry if you didn't find this interesting. This was one of the ideas I had to tone down completely. If I wrote what I intended to, y'all would have hated me.