Mine | Eight

"Ughhhhh! I cannot catch a break!"

Rj frustratingly said, as the door bell rang. Who the hell is at the door in this hour? He thought.

"Hahaha. Sorry love, I guess the game's still on. Come on, get dressed. Baka emergency."

"Baka naman kasi fans lang yan, you know, tulad nung incident before."

"Kaya nga we had a cctv camera installed. Go check."

Rj put Maine down and she made her way to pile of clothes on the other side of the room. She quickly threw on her husband's polo. He grabbed a shirt and pajama bottoms from their closet and got dressed. Looking for her stolen panties, she urged her husband to go and answer the door, as it's been ringing around ten times now.

"Love, sila Dad pala. Kasama si Thirdy."

"Sige na, go answer the door. Magbibihis lang ako ng maayos."

Rj ran downstairs to open the door. Much to his dismay, it was his dad with Thirdy, furiously crying.

"Dad, what happened?"

"Hindi makatulog, hinahanap kayo ni Maine eh. Kanina pa yan tawag ng tawag ng 'Mama' at 'Papa'. Ayaw tumahan. Pasensya na Nak, natutulog na ba kayo?"

Rj the carried the crying infant, trying to calm him down. Thirdy put his head on his dad's shoulders and sucked his thumb. He started to quiet down.

"Di naman Dad, halos kakarating lang namin. Thank you po. Ingat kayo Dad paguwi."

"Sige anak. Ikumusta mo na lang ako kay Maine. Bye, Apo. Love you."

Richard senior kissed his grandson's forehead and made his way to his car and drove off. As soon as he left, Maine emerged from the other room.

"Mama!"

Thirdy called out, reaching for his mother.

"Hi Baby! Awww why are you crying?"

"Mama. Papa."

"Shhh, Mama's here. Anong nangyari, love?"

"Umiiyak daw sabi ni Dad, kanina pa. Hinahanap tayo. We're here, baby."

He kissed his son's forehead, rubbing it, soothing him. 

"Sige na love, I'll take Thirdy to his room. Patulugin ko na."

"Shower? With me?"

"Sige. Una ka na."

Maine brought her son to his room and quickly put him to bed. There's something comforting about sitting on the rocking chair and putting her baby to sleep. As she looked at him, she still couldn't believe that her precious baby turned a year old already. It seems like yesterday when she was carrying him in her womb, singing lullabies and reading story books to him. And now, he's now learned how to say 'Mama' and 'Papa', and even 'Aldub'. He even knows how to stand on his own now and in maybe a few weeks, he's going to take his first steps.

Tears started forming in her eyes as she gently caressed her baby's cheek. This is a precious moment for her, given the busyness of their schedules. As much as possible, she wants to treasure her time with him, because time flies by so fast, and before she knows it, he's gonna be all grown up.

"Sleep, baby Thirdy. Mama loves you."

"Love?"

Rj, emerged from the hallway.

"Are you okay?"

"Okay lang ako love."

He then knelt in front of her.