#A4Day28 : Parrot's Beak

If there was any place in the world Maine wants to live in, it would be surrounded by a sea of trees.

Maine has always loved the outdoors. She didn't know the reason why. It may be due to the fact that father always took her on hikes, up on mountains of different heights, exploring treacherous trails, taking in the smell of fresh air and beautiful sights. It has become their monthly tradition ever since she was sixteen. Her father gave her a map of the Philippines and they would mark the different places they've been to.

They were planning to go to Parrot's Beak in Pico De Loro. Upon seeing it advertised in the internet, Maine's eyes lit up. It was a difficult place to go to but she didn't mind because she knew that it would be worth the effort.

One day, Maine and her father decided to go to the peak. They found it an easy trip as they were both accustomed to hiking such heights. However, in an unfortunate incident, while they were on their way up the peak, the hook that was holding up her father's lapel broke, causing him to fall to his death.

Maine was heartbroken to say the least. Her father was her everything, her best friend, travel buddy, fellow adventure seeker, mentor and her hero.

She swore that she would never ever return to that place, as the memories were far too painful to endure. It has haunted her ever since, even though it had already been 5 years since it happened.

As she continued to move on with her life, Maine found a friend in one of her elementary classmates, Richard. They had reconnected through facebook, being in a group chat full of adventure seekers just like them. They became close, even referring to each other as bestfriends. Maine was happy again, as she found a new travel buddy. Richard would take her to places she never even thought existed.

Through 3 more years, their friendship blossomed into something more. They fell madly in love with each other.

"Where to, next?" Maine said, dropping her bags on the floor while they entered her condo.

"Kagagaling lang natin sa Mt. Butulan, nag-aaya ka na kaagad? Grabe ka babe, ha." Richard said, plopping himself down on her couch, incredibly tired and spent from their trip.

Maine then eagerly walked towards him and settled herself on his lap, her arms wrapping around his neck. She then planted a hungry kiss on his mouth, darting her tongue to graze on his lips. Before the kiss could turn into something more, she pulled away.

"Ehhhhhh. Lubusin na natin hanggang mataas pa yung energy ko. Saka gusto ko puntahan lahat ng pwedeng puntahan sa Pilipinas, para next year sa ibang bansa naman."

"Teka muna, bakit natigil yung kiss? Mamaya na natin pag-usapan yan, kiss muna ulit. Pagod ako oh, alisin mo, babe." Richard started peppering Maine's neck with kisses, from her jaw down to her clavicle. His hands crept from the skin of her thighs to the hem of her shirt, pulling it up gently.

"Chard..." She said, trying to push him away. "Please? Pag-usapan na natin.."

He stopped his ministrations. "Okay sige. Where do you wanna go?"

"Hmm..saan ba maganda?"

"Sa ano kaya, sa Pico De Loro. Halos yun na lang yata yung di natin napupuntahan eh."

Maine paused as hearing about Pico De Loro brought about painful memories about her father. "Pico De Loro? Umm..parang ayoko dun.."

"Baby, come on. Pico De Loro is beautiful. Saka si Rico, yung isa kong friend, nakaakyat na sa Parrot's Beak tapos sabi niya ang ganda daw talaga. Mahirap puntahan pero worth it."

"Pero Chard.."

"Hay, baby. I know. I know na ayaw mo because of what happened to your dad. And I understand naman. Pero don't you think it's about time to face your fears?"

She stood up and walked towards the kitchen area to drink a glass of cold water. She was silent for a few minutes and Richard sensed that she became upset. He then walked towards her and embraced from behind, his chin rest on her shoulder.

"Sorry na, baby. Wala naman akong masamang intensyon. I just want you to finally move on. Sorry na.."

"Chard naman kasi. You know that I promised myself I'd never go back there, right? Kung gusto mo ikaw na lang, or isama mo friends mo." She pouted.

"Baby naman eh. Sige na please. Sama ka na sa akin. Malapit na din death anniversary ng dad mo. Parang tribute mo na din sa kanya yun. Please?" He hugged her tighter.

As Maine recalled her memories with her father, she thought that maybe, indeed it was time. She wasn't gonna do it for herself but for her father, to celebrate his memory.

"Hay..fine." She agreed.

"Yes!" Richard shouted in victory, then taking Maine by surprise by carrying her into his arms, which caused her to shriek. "Now, where were we?"

Maine giggled. "Well, I think you were gonna take me to the bathroom? Maybe, to shower? Together?"

"Ay. Gusto ko yan."

--

A week later, the day off Maine's father's death anniversary, she and Richard decided to go to Parrot's beak. Fortunately, since they left early, they were able to reach the top before dusk. Thankfully, they were the only ones there so they set up their tent and built a bonfire.

Maine sat down to watch the sunset and Richard settled himself beside her, draping his arm on her shoulder, pulling her towards him.

"You okay, baby?" He asked, planting a kiss on her temple.

"Yeah. Thank you baby.,"

"For what?"

"For bringing me here, for helping me overcome my fears. You're right, this view is beautiful." It was indeed a sight to see.

"You're welcome, baby. Alam kong mahirap, kasi naaalala mo yung dad mo, pero I want you to let go of the pain still residing in your heart. Your father would want that."

"I know. Alam mo, we never reached the top. Kaya it was a mystery to me what this place looked like. And now na nakita ko na, my life is complete." She closed her eyes and enjoyed the fresh air. Then, a sudden cold breeze blew, sending shivers down her spine. "Dad, I miss you so much. Okay na po ako. Okay na okay. I love you.." she squeezed Richard's hands.

"I'm here okay?" Richard reassured her.

They both watched as the sun began to set, beautiful hues of orange, blue and pink painting the sky.

"Maine?"

"Hmm?"

"Actually may isa pa akong agenda bakit inaya kita dito eh."

"Ano yun?"

"Tumayo tayo."

They both stood up.

"Ever since I met you, I knew you were the one I'd like to spend the rest of my life with. You are my best friend and you mean the world to me." He then got down on one knee and pulled a small, blue box from his pocket. He opened it and looked up to her, finding her with tears welling in her eyes.

"Nicomaine Dei Mendoza, will you marry me?"

"Yes!"